Question about tire pressure sensors and backwards compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pandabird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Right so I was looking for some cheap winter tires for my 2011 Tahoe (stock 275/55/R20) and stumbled upon an interesting looking set.
-02 'hoe owner has a leftover set of original 16 inch rims with all the caps intact and some fat 70 height studded tires on them. Should be set for this winter at least since it gets really icy over here. Also they are going to be covered in snow anyways so I don't care about looks (though there's an odd chance they would actually look rather mean)

Checked with https://tiresize.com/bolt-pattern-finder/ and it seems it's a match.
No pressure sensors on them though which begs the question; how much does the car complain without them? Some european cars can act up really badly if they don't have a data connection with the tires.

OP
OP
Pandabird

Pandabird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Actually might have to scrap that whole idea, my brake discs look pretty huge. Anyone know if they fit with 16 inch rims?

OP
OP
Pandabird

Pandabird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The TPMS sensors should work with the same frequency for those 2 years.

Good info. Sadly I secured info that indeed 16 inch rims will scrape against the brake calipers (at least in the front, only tested one wheel swap). Seller was nice enough to let me test it out myself which was convenient since he was nearby and I already had the car jacked up checking for a suspension issue. Perhaps some spacer of sorts could work but that's not legal over here.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right so I was looking for some cheap winter tires for my 2011 Tahoe (stock 275/55/R20) and stumbled upon an interesting looking set.
-02 'hoe owner has a leftover set of original 16 inch rims with all the caps intact and some fat 70 height studded tires on them. Should be set for this winter at least since it gets really icy over here. Also they are going to be covered in snow anyways so I don't care about looks (though there's an odd chance they would actually look rather mean)

Checked with https://tiresize.com/bolt-pattern-finder/ and it seems it's a match.
No pressure sensors on them though which begs the question; how much does the car complain without them? Some european cars can act up really badly if they don't have a data connection with the tires.
I think you are confusing tpms & abs, tpms monitors tire air pressure only & abs monitors wheel speed and directly affects the driveability in many cases

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustin Road