Question for you towers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed my typhoon from New York to Kentucky which was a 20 hour drive one way and three days later towed it back home another 18 hours and what i did was with the tow/haul button pressed in. I didn't down shift or anything i kept it in (D)rive. I was doing a max speed of 70 and wow it went flawless. The aftermarket temp gauge stated tranny temp was around 150-180 and nothing more then that. Try pressing the button tow haul and try driving around a few blocks and feel the difference. Good luck. Im in westchester county just in case you run into any issues.

OP
OP
04SS99Denali

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed use the Tow/Haul and also if the transmission keeps shifting from 4th to 3rd leave it in 3rd. Speed kills too, the slower you go, the easier it will be on truck.
When is the last time you had the transmission fluid changed? Make sure you have good fluid.

Oh, I just looked at your screen name, and from that I would assume you have a Denali. My 06 has a transmission temp gauge, yours probably does to. You will be glad you have it when you are towing, just keep an eye on temps.

dont have the denali anymore. i have a 03 SLT 5.3 now. trans fluid was done at 100k its got 125k now no trans temp gauge =/. but i know the risks and how temps rise ive had some tranny experience with my silverado SS.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

I towed my typhoon from New York to Kentucky which was a 20 hour drive one way and three days later towed it back home another 18 hours and what i did was with the tow/haul button pressed in. I didn't down shift or anything i kept it in (D)rive. I was doing a max speed of 70 and wow it went flawless. The aftermarket temp gauge stated tranny temp was around 150-180 and nothing more then that. Try pressing the button tow haul and try driving around a few blocks and feel the difference. Good luck. Im in westchester county just in case you run into any issues.

ive used tow haul before just messing around. thanks for the offer hopefully it goes smooth lol

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

At least invest in a bigger tranny cooler than the stock one, it's tiny!! Even if you don't tow all that often, it's still better for the longevity of your transmission!!

im aware my SS silverado has a huge trans cooler now

bsul92

Reaction score
I always pull stuff with mine. i use the tow haul button When starting off, like up to 35 mph. Then i turn it off. Ive pulled a bob cat and several other cars up to 80 mph no problem. If your coming to a hill though, engage the tow haul mode to give it more torque then once you overcome it shut it off. Also be careful cause at high speeds sometimes the whole rig starts trying to pivot.
photo-1.jpg

OP
OP
04SS99Denali

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always pull stuff with mine. i use the tow haul button When starting off, like up to 35 mph. Then i turn it off. Ive pulled a bob cat and several other cars up to 80 mph no problem. If your coming to a hill though, engage the tow haul mode to give it more torque then once you overcome it shut it off. Also be careful cause at high speeds sometimes the whole rig starts trying to pivot.
photo-1.jpg

thats just what i wanted to hear thanks man. i dont plan on going over 65 lol im gonna granny it the whole way home

bsul92

Reaction score
Yeah no problem that button that does Tow haul its main purpose is to give you an extra torque when you start if you have a heavy load. but once you get going you know 40 50 60 miles an hour you're fine because the momentum's there the truck has really no stress all it's doing is pulling along

OP
OP
04SS99Denali

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update : the kon champed out 786 miles round trip almost 7 hours of driving each way with the trailer on the back. total of 14 hours :Handshake:

the truck has 125k on it and it and went beautifully

Last edited:

Big Lew

Reaction score
Cross Country Tow??? NO PROBLEM

I've towed trailers from South Florida to South Carolina to Ohio to Colorado and back to Florida. My most recent move was clear accross the country from South Florida to California, and I pulled my S4 Avant. Pull it in drive and use the TH feature if you think the tranny might need some help... like on hills and such.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 15

Big Lew

Reaction score
Looks good Niko! Next time you might consider buying a trailer on CL and then reselling it when you get where you are going. I couldn't stand the fact that UHaul wanted me to pay like $500.00 just to rent a friggin trailer. So I went on CL, found a guy who sold me teh one in the picture on my thread above. I bought it in Florida, and sold it in Cali. Funny thing is I ended up making 100 bucks on the deal!!! LOL!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts