Question from a first time buyer - Tahoe or Yukon advantages/disadvantages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was making a purchase of a new vehicle with the high cost that they are now then I would hold off until the Dealers have stock and go look for myself. I would then decide based on my own personal opinion what I like the best. You’ve waited this long so a little longer won’t hurt in order to do your own research and make your own decision. Good luck with your choice.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
out of the 3 in the end you see less GMC's in the junkyards, can't say why it's just the way it is.
You think this may have more to do with the type of buyer who buys them than the truck itself? May be more apt to do maintenance, beat on it less, fewer commercial users, etc?
Numbers say Chevy outsells GMC by about 2x, but the gap is closing in recent years (GM doing good here at marketing), so that may have something to do with it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting 20 years to buy a Tahoe or Yukon. I am finally to the point to treat myself after paying for 10 years of college.

I want a 2025 with the newer diesel in it (so I have plenty of time to decide).

My question is, besides styling/personal preference, is their any benefit of a Tahoe over a Yukon or Yukon over Tahoe?

Examples would be material quality, build quality, reliability, long term maintenance costs, etc.

I'm assuming that in general, both of them would be basically the same but I wanted to ask.

I'm also assuming that their are going to be lemons on both sides.

We keep our vehicles until the doors fall off so long term maintenance costs are important to us. We have been very lucky with the vehicles we have owned in the past.

My son is getting my current vehicle when we purchase and we can retire our 2007 Toyota Camry with almost 200K miles on it.

My wife and I are going to be using it as a mostly a highway cruiser. I'm retired now and we are going to be doing a lot of road trips in it, so I want the magnetic ride control and the air ride.

The center dash seems to be where the interior styling differs the most. Every month I go back and forth on which one I prefer.
As indicated in the many responses, the main differences are in the trim and finishes. Please note, however, that within the Yukon line especially, there are multiple trim level steps up the pricing scale, so be sure that you are comparing trim apples to trim apples on both trucks.

You did not mention towing, but if towing is in your future, you may want to consider the Suburban versus Yukon XL truck comparison, as they will tow much better, due to the increased wheelbase. That is not to say that the standard lengths won't tow well, it is just the physics associated with the different truck wheelbase lengths that give the longer truck the towing advantage.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think this may have more to do with the type of buyer who buys them than the truck itself? May be more apt to do maintenance, beat on it less, fewer commercial users, etc?
Numbers say Chevy outsells GMC by about 2x, but the gap is closing in recent years (GM doing good here at marketing), so that may have something to do with it.
no idea really other than Chevy has more product line's, like I said under the skin there is basically no difference. Some people seem to think chevy/gmc/cadillac use inherently different parts. They do but only for the surface of what you see different style grill, dash, cluster, some buttons, exterior trim, etc. Powertrain wise, frame and all the important parts are the same. So many parts you can swap from A~Z from vans, pickups, suv's. any motor with a matching 8th digit vin can be a direct swap doesn't matter what it came out of.
Historically the GMC/Cadillac line has offered more higher end product but they have mostly closed the gap with the T2 line, finding a gmt900, k2 "chevy" with a 6.2liter can be hard to find.
and with the T2 line they finally let Cadillac do a mostly separate design, how far they have actually strayed I couldn't say it's just one thing they "announced" in press releases as the T2's were in design phase still. The gm penny pinchers certainly have some say in all of it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one thing to note is don't expect a specific "trim line" to all have the same features, you will find yourself sadly disappointed if you go look at one and then buy one and have it shipped or something expecting it to have the exact same features. All depends...... on how it was ordered, etc
if you buy one sight unseen ask a lot of questions and confirm everything is there you wanted before biting the bullet.
so many different thing on these new one's, then throw in the chip shortage and it's a big mess

gatorintx

Reaction score
For the 2025's, the interior dashboard design is going to be completely different between the Yukon and Tahoe, which is new. Build-quality-wise, they'll be essentially the same. When I was building out 2024's and comparing the Tahoe to the Yukon, there really isn't much of a price difference when you look at comparable models for each. At least for the 2024's, the High Country Tahoe cost about the same as a Yukon Denali, even though the Denali has double laminated glass and an extra speaker or two.

OP
OP
D

DaveL

Reaction score
The main differences when we look at the Yukon Denali. There's a completely different front cabin than the regular Yukon and Tahoe. Yes, there are fog lights in the Yukon, but they are of no use. The light is terrible, both in the Yukon and in Tahoe. I rebuilt my head light in the Yukon. And so, as for the filling, the units, they are the same.
Do you have any idea if the fog lights have been improved in the 2025?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any idea if the fog lights have been improved in the 2025?
From the pictures they look to be projector lenses. I've always been a fan of projector head/fog lights versus reflector. They do a much better job with concentrated and intense lighting. The 21+ GM SUVs all use LED reflectors with the Yukon also having LED reflector fogs. For '25 the Chevy and GMC models go to LED projector head/fog lights.

FWIW - the IIHS tested the '21 Tahoe and one of their test criteria is headlight performance. The Tahoe headlights received a poor rating. They haven't tested the Yukon, but I own one and honestly they are not impressive with their light output. Very similar design, just different aesthetics from the Tahoe headlight design. It will be interesting to see when the '25 platform gets on the road and starts getting reviews, but I'll bet the head/fog light performance will be improved just by the change to projector lenses alone.

OP
OP
D

DaveL

Reaction score
From the pictures they look to be projector lenses. I've always been a fan of projector head/fog lights versus reflector. They do a much better job with concentrated and intense lighting. The 21+ GM SUVs all use LED reflectors with the Yukon also having LED reflector fogs. For '25 the Chevy and GMC models go to LED projector head/fog lights.

FWIW - the IIHS tested the '21 Tahoe and one of their test criteria is headlight performance. The Tahoe headlights received a poor rating. They haven't tested the Yukon, but I own one and honestly they are not impressive with their light output. Very similar design, just different aesthetics from the Tahoe headlight design. It will be interesting to see when the '25 platform gets on the road and starts getting reviews, but I'll bet the head/fog light performance will be improved just by the change to projector lenses alone.

Thank you for the answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dgrose