Rattle at High RPM's - Anyone know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I stomp on the throttle and rev it up around 4-5k rpms there is a noticeable rattle from the engine. Enough to notice above the cool-air-intake and above my magnaflow exhaust.

Could this be the valves out of adjustment? Anyone had this happen to them before?

Thanks for your input.

2002 Tahoe
4WD
5.3L flex
164,000miles

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like detonation to me. Clean your MAF, and try finding better quality gas.

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem on my 01 suburban. sounds like its a cavitating pump almost. i notice it only at FOT. i thought it might be detonation but i'm not sure

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Clean those MAFs! We see it time and time again, the MAF is the most important sensor on the vehicle, and can really cause some nasty issues.

OP
OP
YUOnDaGround

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say better quality gas do you mean octane or gas station? As in shell over a bottom of the barrel no name gas station?

Also, I have cleaned the maf multiple times... However I will clean it again just to make sure. When I say multiple I mean 3-4 times in the last 2 months.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

i have the same problem on my 01 suburban. sounds like its a cavitating pump almost. i notice it only at FOT. i thought it might be detonation but i'm not sure

I don't know how to diagnos that it is a cavitating pump. All I know is that when I go WOT power is good it just starts to rattle around 4000 rpms.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bruce, what are you using to clean the MAF, and are you cleaning the TB as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52