Rattle at High RPM's - Anyone know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If MAF and TB cleaning don't work, consider the O2 sensor(s)...may be slightly loose. THere are other posts of rattling noises caused by this, but don't recall if at specific rpm.

brad6603

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im had to replace both of my O2 sensors from the mystery rattle sound. When i removed the factory O2's i could shake them and they sounded like the ceramic inside was busted. Replaced them with new ones and the mystery rattle sound was gone.

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the either belt tensioner also...

Is it worse with the ac on or off??

Also are you hearing this in park or driving??

Last edited:
OP
OP
YUOnDaGround

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the either belt tensioner also...

Is it worse with the ac on or off??

Also are you hearing this in park or driving??

Only while driving while at wot at high rpms and I haven't noticed a difference related to ac being off or on.

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this too. My 2001 also did the same thing. It only happens when you really stomp on it. I read somewhere that it was normal for these engines and it's really barely noticeable.

That said, it may not be normal if others aren't hearing the same thing. I clean my MAF and throttle body about every 2nd oil change, so I don't think they are the issue. How hard is it to change O2 sensors?

OP
OP
YUOnDaGround

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this too. My 2001 also did the same thing. It only happens when you really stomp on it. I read somewhere that it was normal for these engines and it's really barely noticeable.

That said, it may not be normal if others aren't hearing the same thing. I clean my MAF and throttle body about every 2nd oil change, so I don't think they are the issue. How hard is it to change O2 sensors?

I may end up changing out the o2 sensors just to see what happens.

brad6603

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Before you go out and buy new ones. Take a wrench and unscrew your old O2 sensor and shake it to see if it rattles. If it does thats the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52