Rear brake backing plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All,
Wife says the Tahoe's brakes are acting strange. Says the pedal is spongy. I did the power steering flush last night. She says it's no better. Was going to bleed the brakes so I got under there tonight to soak the bleed screws. I noticed on the rear both the backing plates (thin sheetmetal) have rusted and are half missing. They being about the 3 oclock position. I looked online and it looks like they are supposed to go almost all the way around.

Rockauto had them for under $20, both a one piece and a two piece design. Are these important? Would I have to pull the axleshaft to install it? I assume that is why they have a two piece design so you don't, but it looks like the bolt on where the brake assembly does, which might be a PITA to loosen.

So, have any of you all replaced them or just left them half rusted off?

Also, why the heck is the bleeder on TOP of the rear caliper?!?

Lastly, do the Tahoe's suffer from the same crappy spare tire holder the pickups use... aka, the one that won't let the tire drop more than 3 inches before getting hung up?!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian