Rear hub question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scot moore

Reaction score
I have a rear hub that has a little bit of play. I was going to replace it, but can only the front parts. I am guessing they are the same on the AWD version front and rear, but just wanted to confirm since everywhere I look says either 2wd or 4wd and front, no rear. Thanks

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
Or not, looks like it is different and you can replace the bearing on the rear. I am not under it now, just had it inspected for license plate renewal and they said it passed, but had a little bit of play and I should consider replacing it. I thought I would just order the part and do it. I wasn’t finding the part number though.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or not, looks like it is different and you can replace the bearing on the rear. I am not under it now, just had it inspected for license plate renewal and they said it passed, but had a little bit of play and I should consider replacing it. I thought I would just order the part and do it. I wasn’t finding the part number though.
Some slight play is normal and as long as it is not making noise or leaking then it's fine

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
I was just taking their word for it. though I should know better then that. I will check and update if I think it is bad. Any idea of the part number in need? it is a 2012 yukon Denali awd

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your rear wheel bearings are inside the axle tubes, nothing like the front bearings. Replacing them requires the rear diff to be drained and the axles pulled. Unless I'm out of my mind.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your rear wheel bearings are inside the axle tubes, nothing like the front bearings. Replacing them requires the rear diff to be drained and the axles pulled. Unless I'm out of my mind.
Nope, you're 100% correct. And getting those C-clips off the other end of the axles can be a bear. This is a job I will happily leave to a trained pro. But I agree with Wes, unless it's making noise or leaking, send it!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on any of these trucks you can jack up the rear end and there will be (or normally will be) some slight push/pull play on the rear wheels, not sure how much is normal is in "how many mm", it's also why if you go to pull the axle you may have to push the axle in to get the clips off. they are not bolted in like a front hub.
@swathdiver is usually good at providing the little details of how much play is normal. The general rule of thumb though is if it is not making noise and not leaking you are good to go.
If you are turning corners and can hear a distinct "clank" noise from the rear end and if the play seems excessive then you might want to have it checked usually though you will see a associated grease leak around the parking brake, or coming out around the axle, usually gets on the rim and leaves a black trail or you may see it splattered around the splash guard in a circle even with the backside of the wheel. or if you are driving along a wall or barrier and can hear a grinding or moaning type noise from the back that's the bearings going out
and if you hear a snapping type noise when turning that can be the rear panhard bar worn out or not torqued tight enough, in my opinon the panhard bar should be tightened up as tight as you can get it otherwise they can make noise. other noises can be rear sway bar bushing or end links, pinion bearing, driveshaft, u joints, no gear oil in the rear diff because it all leaked out, broken rear diff but when they break that usually puts you on the side of the road waiting for a tow.
I had a gammut of rear axle issue's before...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malachismith