Rear Liftgate & Hatch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GRUNT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Forgive me, I tried a search and did not get a result. :emotions122:

We have a 2005 Tahoe. Last week the rear liftgate would not unlock, nor would the glass hatch pop open. I ran through some of the fuses but not all and found non that I checked were out. I also found that although the remote will not unlock the liftgate, if I try the interior unlock fom the drivers door, that the rear liftgate would onlock about 2 out of 30 times. It now will no longer unlock at all.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this failure? Thanks for helping the new guy.

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive me, I tried a search and did not get a result. :emotions122:

We have a 2005 Tahoe. Last week the rear liftgate would not unlock, nor would the glass hatch pop open. I ran through some of the fuses but not all and found non that I checked were out. I also found that although the remote will not unlock the liftgate, if I try the interior unlock fom the drivers door, that the rear liftgate would onlock about 2 out of 30 times. It now will no longer unlock at all.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this failure? Thanks for helping the new guy.

Try to remove the interior panel and see if something has become lodged, or if a wire has been cut or crimped.

OP
OP
G

GRUNT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, I will take a look tonight.

I looked at the wiring loom from the body to the top of the lift-gate and it was intact without impairment. As for the inside of the lift-gate, I will look. Is there a way to get it open from the inside? I do not recall an interior release to get the rear-gate open.

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I will take a look tonight.

I looked at the wiring loom from the body to the top of the lift-gate and it was intact without impairment. As for the inside of the lift-gate, I will look. Is there a way to get it open from the inside? I do not recall an interior release to get the rear-gate open.

This just happened to me this morning after I loaded up the back to head home from a trip. I can hear and feel a thump for the locking selenoid but it doesn't unlock. I tried the key fob and door lock and nothing works. Someone on another site said one must pop the interior piece off and replace the locking mechanism before it will work again. On a side note onhow mine messed up...I used my key fob to lock the doors but the hatch handle was still about a quarter of the way lifter up as though it hadn't return to the fully closed position on it's own and when I locked it, it made an different noise and when I tried the handle it feels like it doesn't catch on anything.

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got home a little while ago and went around like normal to lift the hatch without remembering that it was supposed to be broke...and it worked. So I guess I'll just wait till it breaks again.

KMV77

Reaction score
Its the damn actuator. Mine stopped working about a month and a half ago. I took it apart. A pos plastic gear strips and the motor cant turn the gear to open the tailgate. GM wants 300+ for a new one but they give you everything you dont need. I found it online with a google search. I believe it was at a dealership in s.carolina. I ended u getting it fo $173 with shipping. So I saved about 100+ over buying at the dealer. Ill see if I can find where I ordered it from for you. BTW mine worked on and off for a bit but then totally died. It then sound like a goose honk for a while becasuse it would catch the stripped gear. It will eventually die on you. lol
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts