Rear Main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viv1d

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Me and my bro will be tackling my rear main seal leak this weekend or next. Anything else we should replace while we're at it or any tips? We already tackled his jeeps rear main in one night so we're hoping this goes good.

rv8pilot

Reaction score
Me and my bro will be tackling my rear main seal leak this weekend or next. Anything else we should replace while we're at it or any tips? We already tackled his jeeps rear main in one night so we're hoping this goes good.
Other than pulling the tranny its pretty simple. The seal is carried in a gasketed plate that mounts to the back of the engine. Your seal set should have the gasket as part of it. I did my 2001 Yukon XL a while ago and it was a "no probelmo" job. Sure is nice not to have those damn oil leaks too. I should add that you should replace the front tranny seal on an automatic while you're in there. Its a $6 part and you will hate yourself later if you don't.

dargisa17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was told & shown that I have oil leaking from the rear main seal. I don't have the equipment or tools to do the job myself. What is a reasonable price for a mechanic to charge? (2002 Tahoe 5.3L 4x4). Attached are some pictures. IMG_0489.jpgIMG_0490.jpgIMG_0491.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayRay86