Rear vents intermittently blowing, engine off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mentalattica

Reaction score
I've noticed sometimes when I go to get in the truck, my rear vents are blowing. It's intermittent and it'll run for various amounts of time and shut off. The engine is off and key isn't in the ignition. I usually only notice it when it's pretty hot out 90+. I've wondered if opening the door activates them, or hitting the unlock button... Not sure. Is this normal for an 2007 Yukon with auto climate control?

I've been trying to figure out why my battery keeps randomly dying. There's no rhyme or reason to it these days, it's completely random. In the last week I've had to jump it twice after driving to lunch (10 minute trip maybe) coming out 15 minutes later and it won't start. It's not completely dead, but just not enough juice to turn over. I jump it and it's fine.

I hooked my multimeter up to it last Saturday, and tested the voltage after a full charge. Fully charged it ran 12.65v after about 4-5 hours, 12.5v. It got as low as 12.45 but not really much lower. I started it and repeated to find the same thing. So I measured 14ish when idling and 10-10.5v when cranking. Checked for a parasitic draw and didn't find one other than a 4a draw for about the first 30 sec. but that dropped to 0.01a. Lastly, I took it to Autozone and had them test the battery/alt and everything passed.

Convinced it was my battery anyway since the alternator is relatively new, I replaced it today with a Auto Craft AGM battery. The battery I had before was a Delco Professional 48-6YR manufactured in 6/10. I'm still not so sure it's the battery with all of the testing doesn't indicate it's bad. I'm wondering if the vents are randomly turning on and off when the truck is empty and killing my battery in the process?

OP
OP
M

mentalattica

Reaction score
The new battery is losing the same amount of voltage overnight, dropping from 12.65 to 12.5.

RoRo

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 08 Yukon. Took it in for service was told I could reprogramm it and turn off the blower function, ($100) even though they knew of the problem. Supposedly fans run to help dry off the condensor or what ever is back there to keep mold from growing/stinking......

OP
OP
M

mentalattica

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 08 Yukon. Took it in for service was told I could reprogramm it and turn off the blower function, ($100) even though they knew of the problem. Supposedly fans run to help dry off the condensor or what ever is back there to keep mold from growing/stinking......

That makes sense. Did you get it reprogrammed?
After 2 hours in 100 degree weather prodding with a DMM and checking for loose grounds I just got pissed off and pulled the fuse for the rear HVAC. Weird thing is my voltage is STILL slowly dropping :emotions122: and my old battery has held it's charge fine after removing it.

RoRo

Reaction score
Yes I had it deactivated. Don't know if the constant/frequent draw killed my battery but soon after it died, needed a jump at every start. Going on 2 years since this occurred, but after reprogram and new battery no more battery/starting issues.

Don't know where your located but I've been told extreme heat also kills batteries,maybe that's where your voltage drop is coming from...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobbycombs