Recent Purchase '05 Tahoe PPV Fleet 4.8 L V8 4x4 185+mi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skw1rl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got it a week ago. Did an oil change. Filled the tank with Premium gas from a little more than a quarter tank.
I love it. I love to go fishing . Almost nothing can stop me now

I'm not Mechanic. I do the frequent oil changes help to make a car/truck last . And premium gas can help clean fuel lines(?).
I love trucks I feel safer in them. I'm a small woman 5' and lil bit on handles but I'm fairly fit I guess one would say in spite of my age and I'm not an intentional cougar but ...

Anyway back to the subject. I'm straying.
My check engine light came on!!
I opened the hood and checked the fluids. I saw that the coolant reservoir was low and I added some water that I had to it. I like to always keep a least a gallon of water in my vehicle.

What would be the general consensus...?

I just saw that there's a thread for PPV TAHOES & YUKONS.

My TAHOE is a PPV. I thought I should add that just in case it made any difference

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My check engine light came on!!
I opened the hood and checked the fluids. I saw that the coolant reservoir was low and I added some water that I had to it. I like to always keep a least a gallon of water in my vehicle.

What would be the general consensus?
If there are no drivability symptoms, the only thing a 'Check Engine' light is trying to say, is 'read my trouble codes', then go from there.
You've likely an iron block and aluminum heads.
H2O is not antifreeze, lacks critical additives that extend the life of the ... H2Opump,
and prevents the iron block from shedding rust into the cooling system.
(I prefer Prestone, but almost any universal antifreeze should work.)

Also, even knowing for a fact that 91 or 93 octane works better than 87 in all GM V8s, the overprice of 91 / 93 in NYC vs 87 exceeds the benefits of 91 or 93 vs 87.
If I lived where 91 or 93 was priced closer to 87, I'd use 91 or 93 in a heartbeat.

[edit]
Seriously consider the advice of the replies after mine.
Many of us are adamant about keeping our GMT800s long enough to prove that these were the best suvs GM ever made.

Last edited:

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Few tips... service ALL fluids when you buy a vehicle with that many miles. I didn't do this on mine and rear diff fluid was BAD BAD BAD, I had to replace the diff when it blew up. Could have possibly avoided that putting new fluid... and certainly by removing cover, inspecting, and repairing issue then adding new fluid.

- Transmission fluid (and new filter) I'd recommend going so far as to put plastic check balls and pin-less accumulators. This is about $50 in parts, but you'd need a transmission shop / rebuilder to service it then. Those items are under the service pan. The check balls are probably one if not THE biggest failure point on these transmissions. Metal ones push through separator plate and then your gear doesn't lock up burning up drum / drums.

- FLUSH coolant system - that's remove the thermostat and run cleaner through it. Then put in the newer formula lasts for longer time not sure what it's called off top of my head.

- 1 whole can crankcase cleaner and idle for 1 hour - then change oil. Note the valve lifters are NOTORIOUS for varnishing on these then not pumping up (they are miniature hydraulic pumps). This is from poor oil change intervals of former owner. And change your oil when it's (1) dirty / getting dark or (2) 5000 miles whichever is sooner. I use synthetic oil as well, just cause those lifters don't tolerate oil sludge or varnishing much at all.

- Change front diff, rear diff, and transfer case fluid.

- Power steering fluid, I pumped mine out then changed it I think three times over first few weeks. This is cause you cannot get down into the gearbox, just the reservoir at top. If you do get air in system bit of a PITA to get out but you shouldn't risk that if you change from reservoir if memory serves me correctly.

Also I have a cheapo Bluetooth scanner. They used to be like $20 off amazon. Then a phone app can read out your codes at any time. Most are fairly trivial, but all do tell of some issue to keep you truck in tip top running shape.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from Colorado. Post up some pics of the Tahoe, please!

Did you get service records with it?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
S

Skw1rl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from Colorado. Post up some pics of the Tahoe, please!

Did you get service records with it?
I did get the service records and it was well maintained. It was a police vehicle. The manual even included a small manual for Police Special Vehicle.
I'll get some pics in a bit.

I'm getting some coolant, oil and some transmission fluid for high mileage vehicles from Amazon.

I'll take the truck to an auto parts store and have them do a diagnostic. And I take it to a shop to get ALL the fluids changed.

Thank you everyone for your help. I appreciate it