Recirculate Air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tom q

tom q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I was under the impression that no car was really "air tight". There are even vents in the back that you cannot close.

not literally "air-tight". At least I can't smell anything from the outside air, unlike my tahoe.

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I've had a Tahoe for almost 10 years, so I don't remember what my last ride was like. I just know that both of my Tahoes have leaked outside air odors with the recirc on.

OP
OP
tom q

tom q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my guess is the "door" does not close all the way. Question is where is the recirculate door?

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like there is a foam piece on the door too. I found this, but I'm not sure how much it will help, but it might get you close to the part...could just be ripped foam and not sealing:

Condition

Some customers may comment on a whistle sound when the blower motor is on and the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) control is put into recirculation mode. Other customers may comment that the blower motor stalls out or vibrates or that a "sticky" noise is present during air recirculation door operation.
Cause

The adhesive foam used on the air recirculation door (air inlet valve) may not be properly secured, causing some of the foam to contact other HVAC components. The foam could potentially come in contact with the blower motor fan and/or the foam may stick to the inner HVAC case walls, causing the door to stick or hang up.
Correction

Locate the loose foam and reattach the adhesive foam to the recirculation door using the steps below:

1. Remove two screws from the right side HVAC sound insulator panel (hush panel).
2. Drop down the insulator panel.
3. Disconnect the electrical connector from the blower motor.
4. Unlock the blower motor retaining tab, referring to graphic above, by pulling the retaining tab (1) down while turning the blower motor counterclockwise in order to disengage the blower motor from the HVAC case.
5. Remove the blower motor.
6. Locate the partially loose foam from inside the HVAC case with a flashlight.

Important: It may be necessary to cycle the air inlet door by placing the ignition switch into the run position and selecting the buttons on the HVAC control head from outside air to recirculation mode.
7. If the foam is damaged, refer to Recirculation Door Replacement (Delphi) or Air Inlet Assembly Replacement in SI and do not proceed with the following steps.

8. If the foam is not damaged, reach into the HVAC case and reattach the loose foam to the air recirculation door by using your hand to apply firm pressure to the foam and door.

Important: The recirculation door should have foam on both sides of the door to seal properly. Refer to the above graphic.
9. Confirm that the foam has been secured to the door by cycling between recirculation and outside air positions on the control head three times. Once cycled then observe from the blower motor opening in the HVAC case to see if the foam is secure. Refer to the graphic above.

Tip
If the foam is not secure, you may apply a small amount of 3MTM Super 77 Spray Adhesive, or equivalent, to an acid brush and apply the adhesive to the door and reattach the loose foam.
10. Install the blower motor into the HVAC case by turning the blower assembly clockwise until the retaining tab locks into place.
11. Connect the electrical connector to the blower motor.
12. Reinstall the insulator panel and two screws.

Tighten
Tighten the screws to 1.6 N·m (14 lb in).

OP
OP
tom q

tom q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow where di dyou get this info. I've been searching everywhere and found different names for this part:

1. Recirculating door
2. Air damper door
3. Air inlet
etc....

where there pics?

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you open your glove box... then pull the tabs on the side of it to actually let the entire door flop down where it opens past normal...

now look in the back against the fire wall.. you will see a vent / flapper with foam seal on it. Make sure the selector is on the vents (top vents) when you push the Re-Circ button that "gate" behind the glovebox should open / and close with the push of that button. Mine was stuck and I pulled it with a coat hanger as a hook. But now the problem is that it seems to work for a day or so - than will just stop working and stay either open or closed no matter what the function of the switch.

Anyone else get this figured out??

csederlund

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe the recirculate button just closes off "most" of the outside air flow allowing the truck to cool already cooled air and keep the inside colder. By hitting the recirculate button, your truck does not turn into an air tight submersible...

Scott is correct. Quoting from the owner's manual.
(Recirculation):
Press this button to limit the
amount of outside air entering your vehicle.

Key word is limit not eliminate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nick7380