Replacing instrument cluster 2009 Tahoe: what do I need to know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this plug and play or will I have to program the cluster to my vehicle?
Will I lose the odometer data? I'm not sure where that data is stored, is it in the ECU or cluster?

Thank you

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this plug and play or will I have to program the cluster to my vehicle?
Will I lose the odometer data? I'm not sure where that data is stored, is it in the ECU or cluster?

Thank you
stored in cluster, the cluster normally should be programmed to your vin and proper mileage added at the same time. reason being some features in the dic may or may not function based on vin of your vehicle. so ya you could just throw one in there and it will work for the most part just won't be right.
and if you need to drive it with the cluster removed you can, just note that it may throw a ocde for unable to communicate with cluster if you do but won't hurt anything, and of course you won't know if you are low on fuel, etc, etc, just something to keep in mind.
to clarify the mileage is on the cluster, on the 2015+ it is stored in the BCM and Cluster.

OP
OP
J

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stored in cluster, the cluster normally should be programmed to your vin and proper mileage added at the same time. reason being some features in the dic may or may not function based on vin of your vehicle. so ya you could just throw one in there and it will work for the most part just won't be right.
and if you need to drive it with the cluster removed you can, just note that it may throw a ocde for unable to communicate with cluster if you do but won't hurt anything, and of course you won't know if you are low on fuel, etc, etc, just something to keep in mind.
to clarify the mileage is on the cluster, on the 2015+ it is stored in the BCM and Cluster.

Thanks!

Do you know if the Tech2 and only the tech2 can be used to program the cluster?

I found a thread on using the tech2 for the 03-06 model years but that doesn't apply to my model year.

I found this thread but it only generally talks about a tech2 and the guy took it to a dealer to get it programmed.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Do you know if the Tech2 and only the tech2 can be used to program the cluster?

I found a thread on using the tech2 for the 03-06 model years but that doesn't apply to my model year.

I found this thread but it only generally talks about a tech2 and the guy took it to a dealer to get it programmed.
that can only be done with a tech2 with a brand new oem cluster, will not work for a used one. pretty much anyone that sells or services speedometers can write the eprom with a tool (not the tech2)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CustomCoffinWorks