Ride quality of 22" vs 20"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched a few threads and have found some mixed reviews, so I wanted to try to narrow down the criteria.

The 2012 XL Denali I found has factory 22's and needs tires. I have always liked the 20" wheels but the 22's also look good, slight nod to the 22.

I will be going with the Michelin Defender LTX, I have had them 3 other times on 2 vehicles and they just get everything right.

I've driven a few half tons with 22's and what I found was the lack of small bump compliance from the tires, which is understandable.

Maybe that is different with the Defenders, I'm curious if the 22" defenders tend to soak up those small little Irregularities in the road or does it transfer it through the passenger cabin.

I'm curious to what people have experienced with the 20t" Defenders and the 22" Defenders on the 07 to 14 LWB models with the air ride.

I'm possibly debating switching to the 20" wheels, but the 22's just look right so it's a tough decision.

All input and criticism appreciated.

Last edited:

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 22” Defenders on my Tahoe. Unfortunately, they do ride rough. I believe the compound is very stiff as it is a 70k-mile tire that starts with 8.5/32” tread. I am a big Michelin fan, but would not get them again.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 22” Defenders on my Tahoe. Unfortunately, they do ride rough. I believe the compound is very stiff as it is a 70k-mile tire that starts with 8.5/32” tread. I am a big Michelin fan, but would not get them again.

What size are your Defenders? The 285/45/22 vatiant has 10.5/32 tread depth or are you measuring from the wear bars?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're already planning on the Defenders, keep the 22s. The only other tire I would consider is the Continental TerrainContact H/T but Tire Rack does mention it has "a loose but responsive steering feel that could benefit from more communication for precise small inputs." That doesn't seem to be the case for the Defenders and at regular prices the Defender isn't that much more. All the other tires offered in the 285/45/22 are way down the list.

The 20s will be a tiny bit more compliant, sure, but not enough to be that noticeable if you're running the Michelins either way. Yes, I've used both. The 22s handle better though with less sidewall roll. If you dig deeper into the claims, most people who claim more sidewall makes a big, huge, massive difference are people who want to buy cheaper tires or they want off-road tires (which are usually LT tires and much stiffer).

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size are your Defenders? The 285/45/22 vatiant has 10.5/32 tread depth or are you measuring from the wear bars?

Yes, sorry, referring to above the wear bar.

I have about 15k on them and they look practically new. So I do buy their long-life claim, but naturally, it comes with a cost (comfort).

They have rave reviews but mostly for the sizes with larger sidewalls.

I put Michelins on everything I own, but if the Tahoe needs tires again I would try a different model or different brand.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree. The Michelin is the most comfortable 285/45/22 I’ve personally driven. I’ve driven a lot of the options and most do not ride very good. I have not driven the Continental TerrainContact H/T but I have driven the LX25 and it was ok but nothing to write home about. I’ve been considering trying the TerrainContact on my wife’s but I have a feeling I’ll just go for the Michelins because I know they’re the top dog and the Continentals aren’t that much cheaper.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot help you on the 20" vs 22" tire ride properties question, as I have never owned 22" wheels.

I can tell you that I am very happy with my Michelin Defender 305/50x20 tires on my 07 Yukon XL Denali.

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as i wear out my 24”s, I’m going down to 22”s and going with the vogues With the red stripe

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Update on this and what was the basis for the thread.

I just picked up the 2012 Denali XL yesterday and this vehicle has the 22" dealer installed wheel option. I feel the wheel looks good but was weary of a 22" tire.

The vehicle also has almost wornnout H-rated Alenza Plus tires with 4/32 of tread. They ride smooth on smooth surfaces but a slightly rough road I can feel everything. I believe fhe Alenza Plus was one of the harder riding tires.

I'm guessing a swap to a new Defender from the Alenza Plus would be a huge difference, the tires feel like they have 60 PSI in them.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Alenza is not a very good tire. If you go with the Defender LTX (NOT the Premier) or the Continental TerrainContact H/T, you should be happy with the 22s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925