Roof rattle sounds at high speeds - 2015 Tahoe LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently picked up a used 2015 Tahoe LTZ with 67k miles. The car itself is in excellent condition and drives great. However, when I get on the highway at speeds of 65 or 70 and above, there is a rattle sound that comes from somewhere above me (very hard to pinpoint).

There are no crossbars up there, just the rails on either side. I've tried duck-taping down the rubber ends of these rails, thinking maybe some wind was getting under there. That did not fix it. I also tried taping down the rear wiper in case the air was getting back there, but that didn't fix it either.

So right now I'm at a loss. Everything feels tight up there, including the sunroof. Any ideas??

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a used 2015 Tahoe LTZ with 67k miles. The car itself is in excellent condition and drives great. However, when I get on the highway at speeds of 65 or 70 and above, there is a rattle sound that comes from somewhere above me (very hard to pinpoint).

There are no crossbars up there, just the rails on either side. I've tried duck-taping down the rubber ends of these rails, thinking maybe some wind was getting under there. That did not fix it. I also tried taping down the rear wiper in case the air was getting back there, but that didn't fix it either.

So right now I'm at a loss. Everything feels tight up there, including the sunroof. Any ideas??
ahh, the great roof saga continues, some say it is the glue used in the roof support, others say the roof metal is too thin. I haven't researched it a lot lately it may still be a mystery.

OP
OP
J

Justin J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ahh, the great roof saga continues, some say it is the glue used in the roof support, others say the roof metal is too thin. I haven't researched it a lot lately it may still be a mystery.
So, is this a thing that someone here has had repaired by a dealer? Was planning on taking it there next week. I'm hoping it's not crazy expensive to fix. The rattle is making me nuts.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, is this a thing that someone here has had repaired by a dealer? Was planning on taking it there next week. I'm hoping it's not crazy expensive to fix. The rattle is making me nuts.
the roof making noise has been a problem for the 15+ vehicles, there have been a lot of consumer complaints about it, I don't think they have narrowed a particular cause some people have reported the problem was not fixed or not able to be fixed, but then again people generally make reports to complain (not to praise) so there could very well have been many happy results. the best bet is to take to the dealer and see if they can figure it out.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
considering roof has a tendency to oilcan, in certain situations... i bet one of the roof supports separated from roof. doesnt have enough glue or probably has no glue on one or more (mon / fri build, LOL)

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option may be the black plastic trim piece on the outside of the b-pillar/next to the window. Mine hasn't come off yet, which is common on these, but depending on the wind and the speed sometimes it makes noise. Just another thought and something to check on. Good luck.

Jciervo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I had the same problem... if you have cross beams on your roof it is likely that... pretty sure mine loosened slightly from my Thule racks over the years. Here’s what I did (probably going to sound crazy) one was slightly loose, so I took zip ties and stuck them into the opening on the top of the beam. I then cut them so it looked seamless. I wedged a few in, used black to match the color and my problem was solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24