Running E85 in 03 Escalade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Got Lade?

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Escalade, LQ9 6.0. I have an Edge Evolution CS programmer and with the rising gas prices($3.35/gallon for Premium here) I want to run Ethanol in my truck. I experimented with it by running it for a few days and it ran great on it. My gas mileage didn't really change but I noticed a slight loss of power. Then my truck started to misfire, threw a (Random Misfire) and a (System too Lean) code. So I switched back to Premium and haven't used it since. It fixed itself switching back to normal gasoline.

But, my question is.. What would I have to do to make my truck capable of running E85 no problem, all the time? Different spark plugs? Possibly injectors? Some insight would be great since I don't really wanna park the poor girl to avoid paying more at the pump.

I searched a little bit but couldn't find exactly what I wanted.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm thought your vehicle would have to be a Flex Fuel E85 Ethanol compatible. My car has an emblem/logo on the back to show that it supports it. I don't know if the older ones do or not.

nytahoe

"Tha Butcha"
Reaction score
dont think ur fuel system cant take the e85 have to run more gph on ur pump and ur fuel rail wasnt made to take e85

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not to mention E85 can be ******* rubber parts, think it has to be like John said, set up for Flexfuel.

Joe1129uscg

Reaction score
E85 sucks big time, cheaper per gallon but the MPG drop like a rock! My Burb is flex fuel and only gets about 250 miles on a full tank of E85. Seriously not worth it.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
a choice, E85 is cheaper, but get less mile per gallon. Or pay more for regular gas, go further.

But we run E85 in our race car every weekend during summer, LOVE the stuff.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E85 ethanol runs about 70% as efficient as E10 regular gasoline so basically it sucks. Like everyone said, just because the price is cheaper it doesn't justify it. Also, after doing a little research, turns out if you have a yellow gas cap that mean's it takes ethanol..at least for GM vehicles at least... and if you have a yellow gas cap more then likely you have a flexfuel emblem

OP
OP
Got Lade?

Got Lade?

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I know its harsh on my fuel system.. So probably new fuel rails, lines and fuel pump? My truck is not FlexFuel. Something about putting ethanol in my truck makes me feel better about driving it, though. haha. Like I said, I ran it for a little while on straight ethanol and honestly, my mileage difference wasn't too far off from running it with Premium.

gfunkfb09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 yukon xl has a sticker on the inside of the fuel door cover that says it can run on E85. I know that mine is a FLEX because in my year model they cam in FLEX or reg gas and mine was a FLEX engine. I have never run it though because they don't really sell it anywhere here in Texas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy