Running Sluggish after Tune-up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowbuilt_iv

Reaction score
im not trying to steal the mans thread, but mine acts kinda, but not quite like that. i can hammer it and itll take smooth off..but thru the power band i can feel a slight hesitation then it opens up and keeps pulling, then another small-can barely catch it- hesitation. and i also have the same replacements(plugs/wires, coil/cap/ fuel pump and filter) the first fire up for the day it busts right off, then takes a sec to crank and fire the rest of the day. but im also working on 100k miles...

didnt mean to post here but didnt want to start another whole thread over basically the same thing(some sights always have something to say against it lol)

OP
OP
95TahoePA

95TahoePA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put those wire back where they belong. something is wrong with those parts you put in.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

crossed wired maybe?

0900c1528008ee23.jpg

Thanks Sun! Now, looking at that picture, #1 was where #2 is in that picture. When we moved it to where #7 is it ran and idled better, the mark on the balancer was actually close to TDC. We just had no more "play" in the distributor to time it from there and it was at least driveable.... until the next day.

OP
OP
95TahoePA

95TahoePA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So all is timed and good running now?

As of Sunday night it was timed as close as we could get it without pulling the distributor and resetting.. Was running ok, not 100%, but ok.. Able to drive it without worry at least ok.
Monday morning I went to drive it to work and it's back to doing the same exact thing as before. Was not able to confirm if timing is off again or still were we set it.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you keep the firing order correct and the correct rotation is taken into acct when you wire it up, it doens't matter which one of those towers is the #1 plug. Pre cut wires will not work however, you would need cut to length wires.

You don't need to remove the distributor to reset timing to 0, you just have to know how to do it right. Here's 11 steps ...

1. Mark the tower you want to be the #1 tower onto the base of the distributor.
2. Pull cap, wires off cap (leave ends at spark plugs connected) and #1 plug from the head,
3. Crank engine over until you start to feel/hear/see compression on the #1 cylinder.
4. Using a flywheel tool, screw driver, breaker bar or what ever else your heart desires, manually bring the TDC mark on the balancer up to match the TDC mark on the timing tab.
5. Loosen the hold down clamp on the base of the distributor
6. Adjust the distributor base until the mark you made in step #1 lines up with the rotor tip (most people want the #1 plug tower to fall somewhere around the 5 o'clock position, roughly pointing at the #1 plug in the engine)
7. Loosely tighten the hold down, replace #1 plug, replace cap, replace #1 wire paying attention that the #1 plug you marked is actually going to #1
8. Replace the wires one by one around the cap
9. Pull timing computer wire under passengers side dash.
10. Hook up timing light, start engine, verify timing is at 0 degrees (your ECM is disconnected and will not adjust, any adjustment needed here is achieved by rotating the distributor base)
11. Once 0 is achieved torque hold down bolt to proper specs and reconnect the timing wire.

Optional: 12. Grab beer, log on to tahoeyukonfourm.com and thank me for getting your junk running right.

http://www.route66wingsandwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2355&p=19116

OP
OP
95TahoePA

95TahoePA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this might be another issue... the base of the distributor where the cap connects, yeah, it wiggles! Hold down is tight and distributor is not budging when trying to turn it at all. Think its shot!

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this might be another issue... the base of the distributor where the cap connects, yeah, it wiggles! Hold down is tight and distributor is not budging when trying to turn it at all. Think its shot!

Yep that's a different problem. :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES