Service battery charging system.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bzubke1

Reaction score
I have been getting this message on the dash off on on for the past few months. It has been becoming more frequent in the past few weeks. Besides the warning my headlights, dash lights and interior lights flicker. Most ppl in the car don't notice it but it's enough that I do. With the engine off they do not flicker so I want to say the battery is good. I'm guessing alternator but whenever the warning comes up on the dic, I look at the volt meter and everytime it reads just over 14 volts. I'm going to try and pull the alternatir this weekend and have it tested. I've never gone to start the truck and had a dead battery so I want to say the alternator is doing its job. I've checked the connections at the battery, they are both tight and not corroded. The ground by the passenger side cylinder head is also tight. Any other connections I should take a look at? If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

The truck is a 2007 yukon slt 4x4 5.3L, All stock. I did switch out the license plate bulbs for LEDs if that makes any difference.

OP
OP
B

bzubke1

Reaction score
Update: had the battery and alternator tested at autozone and both passed.

OP
OP
B

bzubke1

Reaction score
I've noticed that when the service charging system warning comes on the voltmeter reads well over 14v. My guess judging by the gauge it was about 15-16v. This only happens every couple of days or every other.

I check all the cables coming off the battery. All seem to be tight. I haven't bought a multimeter yet to test the resistance or voltage drop.

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the other end of the ground cable on the engine block

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
B

bzubke1

Reaction score
Ben, if your talking about the one that is right there by the cylinder head on the passenger side, it is good and tight, haven't checked it for voltage drop or resistance yet.

Good in black, I'll have to take a look at that one a little closer. I traced it down to where it bolts to the frame and it was tight but I'll have to inspect the condition of the wire this afternoon. Was it a real pain to get the front bumper cover off or not too bad?

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done it so many times now that I can have the cover off in about 10 minutes

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello bzubke1,

I understand that you are seeking technical advice for the vehicle issue you are experiencing. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. As a customer service representative, I'm not able to provide much in the way of do-it-yourself information, so I'm glad to see forum members are beginning to step in with feedback. If you have any lingering concerns please contact me via private message.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GavinAF