Service battery charging system.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bzubke1

Reaction score
Still haven't got it figured out. Did resistance and voltage drop tests on the battery cables, all checked out. Swapped the battery out with a known good one and it Helped a bit but did not cure the problem. Also had autozone test the battery and it checked out good but once I put it in the problem became slightly worse again. The truck starts and drives fine tho. One interesting thing is the lights will flicker but as soon as the electric fans kick on the lights are rock solid and don't flicker at all. Not sure what that would point to but thought it might tip someone off who has more experience.

OP
OP
B

bzubke1

Reaction score
Finally got it figured out. It ended up being the alternator. The battery light was on as I was passing an oreillys, so I stopped and had them check the alternator and it failed. Popped a new one in and all is back to normal now.

tmac82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey just curious...how did the fix go? Is everything still working after all this time? I have been having the same problem for over 2 years now. Have had all the tests done as well as the alternator replaced, battery replaced, and the problem keeps coming back. Lights are bright when voltage gauge is high (15-ish volts) and dimmer when gauge reads just under 14. Most of the time it's running just under 14. Alternator seems to be doing its job and is only 2 years old; old battery still tested fine but I replaced it on spec anyways.

Curious - what size of alternator did you get put in? I believe my new one was standard size...can't remember amp output.

OP
OP
B

bzubke1

Reaction score
I never had anything shut off on me or had a dead battery. My only symptoms were the charging light coming on intermittently and the flickering lights. The lights would flicker regardless of what the volt gauge was showing. It did however seem to be worse at idle. There was no rhyme or reason to when the charging light would come on, but it did increase in both duration and frequency over a period of probably 6 months until it finally stayed on long enough I could have the alternator tested while the light was on. I got the 160 amp alternator from oreillys. Was $170, takes maybe half hour to swap out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Footankleg