Service Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2DOORS1CUP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Light comes on if the truck sits and idles for about 3 mins. Doesnt do it if I am driving just if I let it sit for a while after driving. I have a remote start so the truck sometimes sits running for 10 mins but the light does not come on, however once I start driving and then let it sit it comes on. I cleaned the IAC valve which helped a bit but didnt solve the issue. Any advice? thanks in advance.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to check it with a code reader/scanner when this happens to find out what code is causing the CEL to come one. There is little anyone can do to narrow it down without that.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Go to autozone and have them check it for free. They do it for free hoping you will buy all kinds of stupid shit to fix it.

joyride

Reaction score
Agree here as well. Get the codes checked but don't throw any money at it right away. Tell us what they are and we'll help figure it out.

No reason whatsoever to just start wasting money until you know exactly what is wrong.

OP
OP
2DOORS1CUP

2DOORS1CUP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thats the problem Im having, it seems as if the code isnt being stored in the ecu. the truck is OBD1 so I can do the old paperclip trick and count how many times the CEL flashes to get the trouble code but to do that u have to turn the truck off of course then turn the ignition to get the code, problem is the code goes away unless the truck is running for a while so I cant tract the code. Was just hoping someone else had similar issues and could shed some light.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
leave the jumper in and run the engine with a little driving. how fast does the light blink per second and what is the on/off duty cycle and under what conditions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100