She just arrived: Summit White Denali: Update: Transmission fixed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it’s the 6.2. I had terrible experiences with diesels in 3 BMW X5’s I owned back to back a number of years ago before the German auto manufacturers pulled all diesel vehicles from the US. Where I live in MN we have the highest percentage of biodiesel blend of anywhere in the country and I was having extreme carbon buildup on the intake manifolds. German diesels were technically only rated for a 5% biodiesel blend but could get by on 10%. Yeah, that was a recipe for disaster with the minimum in the region at the time only as low as 15%.

Please keep in mind that American diesel vehicles are tuned to run on the 20% blend but I was so shaken by my experiences that no matter the range or torque of the diesel, I just couldn’t bring myself to roll the dice on the risk of more issues with the Denali. It KILLS me though as that low-end torque is addictive and the range is second-to-none. I would routinely get mid 30’s MPG in my X5’s and insane range but it was so short-lived before major engine issues that I vowed to be done with diesel.

I’m very hopeful for all those on the board with Duramax-powered rigs that your ownership experience is opposite of mine in the past with 3 liter diesel vehicles. I fully realize I’m comparing apples and oranges here and these American diesels will hopefully churn out power for hundreds of thousands of miles, trouble free. Hell, maybe you’ll all make a believer out of me again and I’ll trade this one on an oil-burner!
Yes, those BMW 6 cylinder diesels had lots of carbon trouble - to the point that having the intake manifold removed and cleaned every 25-30K was standard maintenance for a friend of mine who had one. I bought a new 328d in 2014 which had the 2.0 4-cylinder diesel, and it was a great car. I put 50K on it, and the guy who owns it now has 150k trouble-free miles on it, so they eventually figured out how to keep the carbon problems at bay. Given that the 3.0 Duramax is a clean sheet design, I don't think carbon build-up will be a problem as in past designs. Fingers crossed. When I buy a new one of these, it will be a Duramax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925