Should I pull off the side molding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not really into the whole debaging thing, as my rig is lifted with big tires and looks better with the trim on, IMO.

But, my truck is 10 years old, and all of the chrome on the trim is starting to pit and look like complete ass. So, I've been thinking about pulling the side molding off, having the paint buffed to spiff it up, and having the chrome sections of the front and rear bumper color-matched.

What do you guys think? And what should I do with the grille shell? Paint it black? Color match it with the rest of the truck? Buy a new chrome shell and slap it on? I'd also like to add some fender flares, so if I paint the grille shell black and leave the flares black, that might look ok. Comments?

Here it is currently:
IMG00301.jpg

carcrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take them off and paint the shell and get a bumper cover

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you end up pulling of the molding, lots of people with older cars have trouble with rub marks from the edges of the trim, so a buff is a must like you said. If your gonna put the flares on, I would say paint em black with the grille shell. If your not gonna do flares color match it, it should look real clean imo

OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm thinking that I'll pull the molding, buff the paint, add the fender flares and a trailready winch bumper (both painted black), paint the grill shell black, and get the black denali projectors and signal lenses I've been looking at for a while.

That, combined with the tint (when I get it) should look pretty dope. Now I just gotta decide if I wanna color match the rear bumper, or go with an aftermarket product....

I'll probably end up adding a roof basket too, so I can remove the spare from the undercarriage, put a 285 on it, and mount it up top. The stock size tire barely fits as is - theres no way in hell I'd be able to sardine a 285 down there. Should look pretty tough when it's all done. ***** expensive, though...thats my three year plan lol.

Last edited:

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished product sounds pretty sick tactihoe shit, Colorado rugged lol, cant wait to see the progress. maybe see it in person some time too since were in CO. I never knew what to do with the rear bumper myself, let us know what you end up doing with it.

YNOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my emblems came off right away. now that i have black wheels and a rollpan i don't like the trim anymore, mine comes off in the spring and then it'll be buffed.

OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished product sounds pretty sick tactihoe shit, Colorado rugged lol, cant wait to see the progress. maybe see it in person some time too since were in CO. I never knew what to do with the rear bumper myself, let us know what you end up doing with it.

Tactihoe LOL. Dude thats awesome. If I could change my username, I just might do that...except I've got a Yukon, and TactiYuke just doesn't roll off the tougne as well. Sounds kinda like a play on "tactical nuke" or something, haha.

YNOT, your hoe looks sick! Did you have to do any trimming or anything on those tires? 295s are some big meats...but I'm starting to regret going with 285s on mine after seeing yours, they look small lol.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. Hopefully at the very least I'll have the tint done and the molding pulled off this spring...I'll probably end up debadging it too, because the emblems are chrome and look like shit, just like the trim. Probably replace those with 07+ emblems though just to give it a different look.

From there I'll concentrate on getting the new light housings installed. The roof rack, winch bumper and flares will be the last things to happen, becasue they are $$$$.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, you could do a play on duke nukem and do yukenukem or somethin, i dunno lol. you look at any roof baskets yet? I want one but they are expensive and I haven't looked at many.

YNOT your truck looks sick, simple, but sick. These trucks look bad ass with a mild lift and some meaty tires on em. What kinda keys did you use and where did you get them? and how much? I dont know much about suspension but 2" would be great

El Capitan

Senior Texas Member
Reaction score
If you end up pulling of the molding, lots of people with older cars have trouble with rub marks from the edges of the trim, so a buff is a must like you said. If your gonna put the flares on, I would say paint em black with the grille shell. If your not gonna do flares color match it, it should look real clean imo

Yes a Buff is a must and make sure u get a pinstripe eraser wheel. i took mine off for the same reason thought about doing the yukon trim but i dont wanna spend $500 on new trim..............

OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, you could do a play on duke nukem and do yukenukem or somethin, i dunno lol. you look at any roof baskets yet? I want one but they are expensive and I haven't looked at many.

YNOT your truck looks sick, simple, but sick. These trucks look bad ass with a mild lift and some meaty tires on em. What kinda keys did you use and where did you get them? and how much? I dont know much about suspension but 2" would be great

I'm currently looking at this one from Garvin:

http://www.shopatron.com/products/p...art_number=31022/723.0.1.1.28300.29697.0.0.0?

Looks really nice, aside from the fact that the retards can't spell "Yukon" correctly.

Also looking at this one from Defender:

http://www.defenderracks.com/products.asp?id=38

I like this one a little better, and they make a light mount for it too which is a plus.

As for my lift, I'm running FoMoCo F-150 keys up front, and 1.5" aluminum coil spacers in the rear. Looking at getting Z71 or H2 springs for the rear and switching to 2" Delrin coil spacers for more lift, so I can crank the front a little more too.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Finished product sounds pretty sick tactihoe shit, Colorado rugged lol, cant wait to see the progress. maybe see it in person some time too since were in CO.[/B] I never knew what to do with the rear bumper myself, let us know what you end up doing with it.

Hell yeah man, you me and Max can get together in the spring and have a BBQ or something. I know that we keep planning this shit but never get it done! We gotta get on the ball this summer and get together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy