Snow traction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bs951

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 2wd SLT. I'm running studded snow tires with traction control. The damn thing loses traction on inclines. Rear wheels spin way too easily. My alley way and driveway both have significant inclines and I have trouble with rear wheel spin.

Other than putting chains on, is there other options for gaining traction on slippery inclines? May have to sell to get 4wd.

Thanks.

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my awd if the PERFECT snow vehicle. my ex used to get stuck in the driveway wit her avalanche, but my truck drove like it was on dry concrete. down here in georgia, people stay in when it snows, southerns dont know how to drive in it. but my truck donesnt flinch. every once in a while the hud will show stability active but you cant feel it or anything

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just put a different diff in there. Way cheaper and more efficiant then replacing your truck. Dont put in one of those cheesy pop in units that replace the spider gears. I used an auburn, want to sdy true track but i dont remember. I know it was a conical gear engagement. Nothing to where out.

2 50-80 lbs bags of sand in the back go a long was too.

OP
OP
B

Bs951

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. I think this summer will look into an AWD or 4x4. My old Subaru is a snow machine...so it gets a lot more driving now.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Dammit. Now I can't pile on advice on how to drive in snow.

Good choice on the 4x4. That's the most effective solution. :)

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

lower air pressure or like ya said, may be time to get a 4wd

This is exactly the opposite of what you should do.

Narrower tires (by default if you let air out your tire is effectively getting wider) put more foot-pounds of weight on less space which increases your traction. Wide tires and low pressure increase weight distribution, which decreases traction on packed snow and ice. If he's spinning his wheels, there's ice under them. Wide tires/low pressure can dig you out of the deep stuff, but for hill-climbing traction it's not the way to go. There is a reason suggested winter tire sizes are almost always more narrow than summer tires.