Solved: BMW ICOM NEXT Cannot Connect to E-SYS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kerwin33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased the BMW ICOM Next diagnostic emulator but encountered issues connecting to my car via E-SYS.

I installed iToolRadar and reserved an ICOM. When attempting to connect, the IP address is automatically inserted under ICOM/Ethernet. However, upon clicking "connect," the connection fails.

Port 50160 for ICOM is open, and ICOM works fine with ISTA+ and ISTA/P. I am using ISTA/D 4.03 and ISTA/P 3.60.2, and there was no prompt to update the ICOM.

The issue was resolved when I noticed that the IP address assigned to the ICOM by Windows via DHCP was different from the ICOM IP in ISTA+. Changing the IP address to match the one in ISTA resolved the problem.

Here's how I did it:

1. Change the ICOM IP:
- Use a tool like EasyConnect or iToolRadar (I used both).
- Connect to your BMW ICOM interface and turn on the ignition.
- Start iToolRadar.

2. Reserve the Connection:
- Select the connection from ICOM (usually 169.154.92.38), highlight it, and click "Reserve" (the process is similar in EasyConnect).

3. Connect with E-SYS:
- Start E-Sys, select the target (e.g., F010), and click "ICOM/Ethernet Connection."
- Enter the IP address (e.g., 169.254.92.38) and port 50160. The result should be tcp://169.254.92.38:50160.

Using the BMW ICOM diagnostic head with E-Sys can require some patience. There's about a 50/50 chance of success, and if it doesn't work, troubleshooting is necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap