Something I Just Noticed About The Rear Doors' Lock Knobs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrappycrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, I wanted to get something out of the rear seat area in my Tahoe. The front windows were open, the rear windows were closed, the doors were locked except for the driver's door and I didn't have my key & fob on me. So, as I have done innumerable times on four-door vehicles, I just reached through the driver's window and past the B-pillar to pull up the rear lock knob.

What do you think I discovered about the lock knobs on the rear doors? They aren't at the front of the door, they're at the rear! What the... :shrug:

Every four-door vehicle I can think of has always had the rear doors' lock knobs at the front (my '57 Chevy, my mom's '76 Malibu, my '87 AMC Eagle, my '86 BMW 535i, my '94 Camry, my girlfriend's Prius... and on). Why did GM do the knobs this way on the GMT900s? Is it because folks are so dependent on using fobs/switches and having the mechanics all at the rear simplifies things a teensy bit? It's somewhat inconsequential for everyday situations if everything is working right, but it just struck me as odd.

Any thoughts on this?

- Scrappy

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, I wanted to get something out of the rear seat area in my Tahoe. The front windows were open, the rear windows were closed, the doors were locked except for the driver's door and I didn't have my key & fob on me. So, as I have done innumerable times on four-door vehicles, I just reached through the driver's window and past the B-pillar to pull up the rear lock knob.

What do you think I discovered about the lock knobs on the rear doors? They aren't at the front of the door, they're at the rear! What the... :shrug:

Every four-door vehicle I can think of has always had the rear doors' lock knobs at the front (my '57 Chevy, my mom's '76 Malibu, my '87 AMC Eagle, my '86 BMW 535i, my '94 Camry, my girlfriend's Prius... and on). Why did GM do the knobs this way on the GMT900s? Is it because folks are so dependent on using fobs/switches and having the mechanics all at the rear simplifies things a teensy bit? It's somewhat inconsequential for everyday situations if everything is working right, but it just struck me as odd.

Any thoughts on this?

- Scrappy
all they did was move them from the door handle to the door panel
on the K2's you can't even grab them unless you have some bear claw fingernails, instead you just pull the inside door handle twice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dramaticpaws