Rear Main Seal OEM or Felpro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viven44

Reaction score
There are no dumb questions, Brother.

That's a good question, actually. Now, assuming you remove only the round seal that goes around the crankshaft flange, then you don't need to center the metal cover. You would just leave the metal-clad gasket behind the cover untouched.

I think the issue is that the crankshaft flange seal itself is not rigid enough to center the rear cover. It is pliable so it will conform if it's not centered correctly.
Ok I was wondering, why would it be necessary to remove the metal cover if you are only doing the RMS. Is the metal cover containing oil pressure and therefore the seals need to be done at the same time ? Again, I have no idea what the purpose of the metal cover is… just trying to understand (I’m used to the old big blocks with 2 piece RMS that can be changed by dropping the oil pan or a 1 piece seal that just goes around the crank flange and the engine block)

Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I was wondering, why would it be necessary to remove the metal cover if you are only doing the RMS. Is the metal cover containing oil pressure ?Again, I have no idea what the purpose of the metal cover is… just trying to understand (I’m used to the old big blocks with 2 piece RMS that can be changed by dropping the oil pan or a 1 piece seal that just goes around the crank flange and the engine block)
When you purchase the RMS, it comes with both the cover gasket and the round crankshaft flange seal. The rear cover serves to also retain the oil diverter barbell.

I would imagine you would want to install both new seals at the same time, no? Good for another 200k or whatever they are good for.

I never considered not replacing the cover gasket when I did that job. But I guess there's nothing that says you have to replace it? IDK.

viven44

Reaction score
When you purchase the RMS, it comes with both the cover gasket and the round crankshaft flange seal. The rear cover serves to also retain the oil diverter barbell.

I would imagine you would want to install both new seals at the same time, no? Good for another 200k or whatever they are good for.

I never considered not replacing the cover gasket when I did that job. But I guess there's nothing that says you have to replace it? IDK.
No problems. I’m convinced this tool is needed. When they transitioned to 1 piece rear main seals, the seal design became more durable but the difficulty of replacement also increased. So I’d definitely want to be equipped with all the arsenal!!

Well if/when I may do this job (hopefully on another truck in the future!!), you are in Dallas, I’ll reach out!

My tolerance level is also higher. I’m used to topping off engine oil after a long round trip on my “steel trucks”, ha ha

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problems. I’m convinced this tool is needed. When they transitioned to 1 piece rear main seals, the seal design became more durable but the difficulty of replacement also increased. So I’d definitely want to be equipped with all the arsenal!!

Well if/when I may do this job (hopefully on another truck in the future!!), you are in Dallas, I’ll reach out!

My tolerance level is also higher. I’m used to topping off engine oil after a long round trip on my “steel trucks”, ha ha
Oh yeah, I forgot we are local to each other. No problem.

I bought the SacCity version when I did the RMS on my truck 2 years ago, then this Spring I pulled the engine for a refresh. I bought an Amazon front alignment tool that has both front and rear. That one is just a solid aluminum piece. Both work fine. Admittedly, I actually reused the RMS on the engine, since it was kinda newish. LoL

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot we are local to each other. No problem.

I bought the SacCity version when I did the RMS on my truck 2 years ago, then this Spring I pulled the engine for a refresh. I bought an Amazon front alignment tool that has both front and rear. That one is just a solid aluminum piece. Both work fine. Admittedly, I actually reused the RMS on the engine, since it was kinda newish. LoL

Where are you guys located, if you do not mind me asking? I am in Dallas, Texas too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WifesTahoe