Sound cuts out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
Have something very strange going on with my audio system in my 03 Tahoe that does this on and off. It’s stock Bose system. I will start it up and no chime comes through speakers and I get no sound from the speakers with audio. You can turn volume up and just get the static hissing sound but no actual audio from radio. After I start to drive 10 to 15 minutes it suddenly cuts on. You can turn the vehicle on and off afterwards and the audio works fine, but after it sits for a night then it goes back to the same thing. Any ideas what’s causing this?

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hissing kind of makes since amp is on its own circuit / fuse (powered separate from head unit).

You say as you turn knob the hissing intensity changes but you don't get an output from head unit otherwise?

OP
OP
D

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
Hissing kind of makes since amp is on its own circuit / fuse (powered separate from head unit).

You say as you turn knob the hissing intensity changes but you don't get an output from head unit otherwise?
Yes like when you turn volume up on an amp but don’t have song playing but hear speakers sound you hear when you know they are cranked up.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy an aftermarket head unit, lightyears in upgrades, cheap and easy to install.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel ya @diezelraccoon I rebuilt my factory head unit cause I like the factory look! Plus nothing fits better than factory. I tried an aftermarket setup in my truck and threw it all away, minus speakers. Didn't like idea of custom mounting amps.

Since you get the hissing the pre-amp / volume in head unit is working but the speaker amp is not getting the audio signal due to intermittent connection. This would likely be internal to your head unit... or possibly something in harness is bad from the head unit to the amp but I'd kind of expect a popping noise if it's in the harness, instead of a hissing noise (prior to preamp).

I took my head unit apart, to replace bulbs in face. Sometimes you can repair that stuff... but requires a certain degree of electronics knowledge. I REALLY like my factory head unit. Plus you'll never get a better fitment aftermarket. I replaced all my speakers and kept the rest factory. I think they sell remanufactured head units on eBay upgraded with Bluetooth functionality.

I've had it in my mind to build a harness adapter and stuff a Bluetooth chipset into it so you could plug and play Bluetooth on the older stuff and run it across the Aux channel. I have a breadboard setup with the chipsets but haven't drawn it out on a circuit board yet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lacebm2