Sound dampening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dynamat website has good info for area measurements. I bought knukoncetpz brand, but not installed yet. Add it all up, it can easily be over 100 lbs. Do Escalades have more sound deadening from the factory?

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they have an added layer of foam Matt under there carpet. Also I believe the carpet liner is thicker which improves the sound a lot.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as DB's are concerned, I have a friend who is a big time competitor ( had a 160+ db suburban) and has a lot of expierance. He acutally told me he was chasing numbers, and when he installed deadner it actually hurt his score. But all cars are differant. I metered my truck with 1 18 and got a 145.4. I installed 100 sq ft of deadner and re-built the box to the same exact specs ( but added bracing) and hit a 147.4. So I know for sure the bracing helped, not sure about deadner but the mids sounded so much better.

EMF Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as DB's are concerned, I have a friend who is a big time competitor ( had a 160+ db suburban) and has a lot of expierance. He acutally told me he was chasing numbers, and when he installed deadner it actually hurt his score. But all cars are differant. I metered my truck with 1 18 and got a 145.4. I installed 100 sq ft of deadner and re-built the box to the same exact specs ( but added bracing) and hit a 147.4. So I know for sure the bracing helped, not sure about deadner but the mids sounded so much better.

It will vary by vehicle and frequency. Your friends score dropped, but did he test other frequencies? He changed the resonance of the vehicle, frequency probably changed. CRX's drop 6 hz from not deadened at all to 2 layers on everything.

In my Sierra I had to deaden the roof just so it didn't sound like somebody pounding on a tin roof, and that was with just a 12 in my console.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it was a civic hatch he was messing with at the time. Now he just threw a clam with 12 10" DC level 2's in it, for his daily driver

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBRKPRO