Spectre CAI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MetalStorm

Reaction score
honestly what is the difference between a Spectre $110 CAI, and a pricier Volant or K&N? Bottom line performance differences?

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only speak about the Spectre unit because that's what I have, and have not had experience with the others you mentioned. But, I choose the Spectre based on some simple research.

It's not really a "cold" air intake, I consider it a "smooth" air intake.

Nearly all the units out there provide this smoothing effect.
Nearly all the units use a high quality filter.
Nearly all the units use some type of guard or seperator around the filter.
Nearly all the units out there are going to suffer from some type of heat-soak.

After looking at all of this, I felt the Spectre unit would provide me with a quality product and all of the features that the others provide (I compared K&N and AEM for my 96') but was nearly half the cost.

I've had mine installed almost a week and so far so good. Install was simple, and instructions were very clear.

I know this doesn't answer your post for comparisons in performance, but could help you finalize a decision. Performance for me has been good. Check out my post on this here: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15897

MWNT

OP
OP
MetalStorm

MetalStorm

Reaction score
It really seems simple to fabricate a CAI or "smooth air" intake yourself. Any thoughts on just losing the flexible plastic pipe from the throttle body to the MAF sensor with aluminum duct? add a decent filter to the stock box and maybe cut open the side of the box facing the fender to open it up a little bit? to me that is going to be the same thing.

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the spectre system and love it. Personally I see no diffrence in the spactre VS. Other popular brands.

96whitetahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
to me it just seems like you pay for the design and structure of the k&n/volant systems, but all 3 (and other CAI'S) do their duty if you can prevent heatsoak...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shrubb