steering stabilizer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smrr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i understand that my 2 dr 4x4 does not have one from the factory but how do i go about installing one on my stock tahoe? not going to be lifted or anything. just some 285s. i am just hoping to tighten it up some. it likes to wonder a bit. anyone have a pic or a write up of a factory hoe with this?

looking at rancho
http://www.dirtdirectory.com/MARKETPLACE/productDetail.php?pid=560767

OP
OP
S

smrr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never. it's done very little driving since new!!! (28K) I am a bit new to the vehicle and would just like it not to wonder so easily. i am also looking at front and rear sway bars. it does a lot of highway driving at 70ish and with the 285 nittos it tracks the road a bit. already had an alignment. helped out a bit but looking for something more.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
front sway is really heavy, i would personally leave it alone.

The rear is skinny and would really be the only one to change.

personally i just changed all of the rubber bushings to polyurethane to tighten up the hoe. Other than rusty bolts, it's a really easy upgrade and pretty inexpensive,

OP
OP
S

smrr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some people have said they do not have the sway bars. i will have to check since i have not really looked to see if mine does. i am also looking at replacing the shocks. i know it doesn't have many miles but 11 years is a long time to be sitting on the same ones. i have had single cab short bed trucks before and was kinda hoping to have the same driving characteristics but it doesn't!!! i am just trying to get it a bit more stable at highway speeds.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
there is a thread on here somewhere for you 2dr guys w/o the rear sway...they purchased one and then crafted the mounting brackets..seemed pretty easy from reading the thread.

I have Bilsteins on mine and love those shocks.

OP
OP
S

smrr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hellwig actually sells a kit with everything you need

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought new pro comp shocks a few years ago cuz they were having a sale at 4wheel parts and the package came with a steering stabe but I never put it on because I didn't know where to put it. I've been told that if I want a really nice ride to get some bilsteins so when I have to replace them I'm using them.

OP
OP
S

smrr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I don't know where it would go. No factory brackets for a factory one.

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I just put a KYB on my Hoe. Would you like to read about it?

Of course you would!

My truck also wanders a tad and I was getting pulled into ruts and stuff so I install the Single unit KYB SS15326 kit (all hardware included) from Rock Auto for about $60. I didn't want to crawl under the truck in the snow to go through the entire front end so I thought the stabilizer would help until summer. Installation was a breeze and I can really fell the difference. Unfortunately, it's not all roses and song and I will try to describe it all so you can decide for yourself.

Background info for others who may read this:

A stabilizer is a horizontally mounted shock absorber mounted to the frame on one end and the drag link on the other. It resists side to side steering motion or "Bump Steer" induced by the tires hitting bumps and ruts. If you ever watched Overhaulin' how they steer the car going into the paint booth by kicking the sides of the front wheels while pushing the car; that's a good example of bump steering.

The Good:
Holds the wheels pointed in your chosen direction (unless you have bad wheel bearings). You won't feel any steering wheel pull when changing lanes over rutty roads and pot holes.
Steering feels more solid.

The Bad:
Holds the wheels pointed in your chosen direction. The wheels won't center themselves coming out of a turn like they used to.
It won't help any with wind shear. You won't even feel the tug at the wheel anymore - the vehicle will just be 8 inches to the side without warning.
All those unconscious nudges you give the wheel to stay in your lane will be off along with your timing. Not drastic - just irritating.
Any dead spots or play in the steering wheel will widen a bit.
Sideways forces acting on the tire get transmitted to the frame instead of the steering wheel so the truck may vibrate more (great for feeling worn wheel bearings).
Puts more strain on the steering gear box and Pittman arm.
Steering, especially quick paced rally style, is a bit slower and takes more effort.

For me, the jury is still out whether I like the swapping of old irritations for new ones. I plan to do any Pittman / Idler arm reinforcing mods and replace any worn stuff in the summer and try again with and without the stabilizer to see if I wanna keep it on there. I run stock wheels and tires, can't off-road around here and I haven't gotten enough snow yet to see if it helps.

Still, it's cheap and easy enough to install to see if you like it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alfred091

Latest posts