Suburban or Denali XL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bd1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. So according to that article, all 1500 after 2001 is the 4l65? Are they any better (reliability)?

Cerberus66

Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. So according to that article, all 1500 after 2001 is the 4l65? Are they any better (reliability)?

I have never seen any problems with them, they commonly put them behind hotrods etc.

Service and go. The article shows that the upgrades are typical reliability upgrades, LS based motors are strong as hell. SO I would have to assume they work pretty darn well.

I have always been taught to keep your tranny cool and they will last for a very long time behind a standard street driven vehicle.

Once you start adding HP and and making a binch of full throttle shifts (abuse according to GM) they will bomb.

DeepSeaFish

Reaction score
It's all personal preference really. Think about what you're going to be using it for primarily. I chose the Denali simply because I pull a boat and I love the extra power and extra amenities the Denali has to offer. I've pulled my boat with a 5.3 and it just can't hang with the 6.0 and burned more fuel. In addition, my old '04 F150 crew cab with the 5.4 pulled better than the 5.3. Both are great vehicles with respectable drivetrains. Biggest issue I've seen personally with a 5.3 is they've been known to go through alternators quicker than usual. Know someone who has an '04 with the 5.3 and 140k on it and he's on his 3rd one! But not all will experience this. If you're towing over 3500-4000 lbs, then get the Denali for sure! Better ride when towing to.

KSES123, nice to see someone from the same area.... Nice truck btw!

OP
OP
B

bd1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm just gonna have to be patient. Barely got out of my truck to look at the Denali at the dealership it was at and was looking at a nice run in the paint from crap bodywork (I used to do body work) walked around and could tell over half of it was not original. No thanks. Oh well, at least mine is nice and I'm happy with it, just need more room lol.
The search continues...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus