Suggestions and Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guywith2015LT

Reaction score
Recently my 2015 Tahoe (k9 package) has been making noises when braking. I am assuming I need new brake pads, does anyone have any suggestions which ones to get (like what the departments usually put in model/part numbers, urls are appreciated). Or just use OEM pads?

When making a hard/complete turn, the front brake automatically gets activated. I read some forums where its mentioned to take it off 4wd and I switched from auto to 2wd. This did fix the issue but I am curious now if I need to do some repairs or are these 4x4 function like this on auto.

Thanks for reading, and hope someone could chime in.

buckwild27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently my 2015 Tahoe (k9 package) has been making noises when braking. I am assuming I need new brake pads, does anyone have any suggestions which ones to get (like what the departments usually put in model/part numbers, urls are appreciated). Or just use OEM pads?

When making a hard/complete turn, the front brake automatically gets activated. I read some forums where its mentioned to take it off 4wd and I switched from auto to 2wd. This did fix the issue but I am curious now if I need to do some repairs or are these 4x4 function like this on auto.

Thanks for reading, and hope someone could chime in.
Are you more of a normal easy daily driver or a robbed the donut shop and are on the run from the cops kind of driver? There's a few choices. Plus you need to change the rotors when you change the pads.

Last edited:

Matt1t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If after switching from from auto to 2wd and you don't notice any issues, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As for break pads, I just replaced mine. I just went to the AutoZone site and search for some pads with good reviews. I like ceramic for the low dust level, however I'm running with flat black rims so its hardly noticeable. The pads I ended up with have a "life time warranty" so in theory if you have a profile with them or save the receipt ( which tends to fade ) you could box up the old ones and they will give you new ones at no charge. I always either forget about this and have never exercised this option. This time, I've saved the receipt and box to try to see if this really works.

gtrslngrchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really shouldn't be in Auto at all as if you aren't in inclement conditions it's only going to cause you problems if it activates. I can't help you with the pads situation.

OP
OP
G

guywith2015LT

Reaction score
I be tasting adrenaline here and there (some pulls and then stopping for red lights :( and tend to drive on highways) but mostly normal. I do live in chicago so we see some snow and bad roads. What do you suggest? Also I am 24 yrs old lol. The Tahoe sees 60% of family road trips and 40% 24 yr old douche bag driver.

Thanks a lot for the urls. You are a real one.

OP
OP
G

guywith2015LT

Reaction score
If after switching from from auto to 2wd and you don't notice any issues, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As for break pads, I just replaced mine. I just went to the AutoZone site and search for some pads with good reviews. I like ceramic for the low dust level, however I'm running with flat black rims so its hardly noticeable. The pads I ended up with have a "life time warranty" so in theory if you have a profile with them or save the receipt ( which tends to fade ) you could box up the old ones and they will give you new ones at no charge. I always either forget about this and have never exercised this option. This time, I've saved the receipt and box to try to see if this really works.
It's not acting up, now that it's in 2wd. This is my first 4x4 and I don't have much experience with the issues/noises to look for when driving for possible repairs. I read something about u joints, binding noise etc when I was researching about my issue. So I was worried. Do you know anything about those noises or things to look out for?

Yea I made an account with auto zone and the worker told me about this trick. How does the new brakes feel? Did you change the rotors too? I have 89k miles and everything looks fairly ok so don't know if I should change the rotors too. Also do you have a police package as well? I was guessing the police ones have either beefy pads or something special. If not I will just do the regular OTC ones like you did.

buckwild27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I be tasting adrenaline here and there (some pulls and then stopping for red lights :( and tend to drive on highways) but mostly normal. I do live in chicago so we see some snow and bad roads. What do you suggest? Also I am 24 yrs old lol. The Tahoe sees 60% of family road trips and 40% 24 yr old douche bag driver.

Thanks a lot for the urls. You are a real one.
You live in Chicago and only taste the adrenaline . I've been to Chicago there's no tasting it. I think the only thing with more adrenaline is riding on Nitromethane. You're welcome for the links.

OP
OP
G

guywith2015LT

Reaction score
You really shouldn't be in Auto at all as if you aren't in inclement conditions it's only going to cause you problems if it activates. I can't help you with the pads situation.
Thanks for the tip. I thought that auto meant it would automatically decide when to kick in or when needed. If you suggest to just use it manually I will do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed23