Swap in used engine and transmission from wreck help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pcww

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2017 SLT Tahoe has served me well with the exception of transmission blowing up at 105,000. It does not make sense for me to spend 65+ for a new one since I have another family car so i am planning on buying a relatively low miles engine and transmission package. I would like some advice on how to access sites/wrecker yards for this package. I am budgeting about 10k all in for a package of about 100k miles or less? Is this a reasonable amount and suggestions on project. thanks.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
My 2017 SLT Tahoe has served me well with the exception of transmission blowing up at 105,000. It does not make sense for me to spend 65+ for a new one since I have another family car so i am planning on buying a relatively low miles engine and transmission package. I would like some advice on how to access sites/wrecker yards for this package. I am budgeting about 10k all in for a package of about 100k miles or less? Is this a reasonable amount and suggestions on project. thanks.
I believe car parts.com is the one I seen posted on here? That brings up all the local salvage yards around your area I’ll have to double check on that though
I’d opt for the powertrain out of the 2500 trucks if I were you though ought as well if you can get it for about the same price

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It’s an OEM non-AFM motor that doesn’t require premium fuel. Increased smiles per gallon are an added bonus.

Plus I think you can find almost brand new take outs with very low miles.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If yours were mine I'd have the transmission overhauled/replaced and put in the lower temp thermostat, that is what destroyed your current one. A billet torque converter as well and spend the rest of the $10K on a little vacation.

The transmissions in these things die at about 100k miles because the fluid is too hot, it causes the clutch material in the torque converter to break loose which fouls the whole system. The key to a regular lifespan as in the previous generation, is to use the lower temp transmission thermostat and a billet torque converter. The engine should continue to give you years of continued service.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well you did not provide a location but most people just pick up the phone and make a call around
For instance if I wanted a used engine & transmission I could have it tomorrow

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, simply have the existing transmission rebuilt. Makes no sense to spend what will amount to 2.5-3k or so on the trans portion of the swap only to have to spend another 5-7k again to rebuild it when it takes a dump on you (which it's guaranteed to do).

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, simply have the existing transmission rebuilt. Makes no sense to spend what will amount to 2.5-3k or so on the trans portion of the swap only to have to spend another 5-7k again to rebuild it when it takes a dump on you (which it's guaranteed to do).
1725470158504.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1