Synthetic or regular oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Royal Purple full synthetic .........

I use it in my BMW, Toyota and the Tahoe.

During the summer months the BMW will run an average of 15 - 20 degrees cooler with all vehicles experiencing easier cold starts year 'round.

When I first purchased the Tahoe I noticed a slight "ticking" sound during idle. I switched over to the RP and within a few minutes of starting the Tahoe with the fresh RP in place, the "ticking" is gone. Tahoe seems to run smoother as I have come to expect with all of the vehicles I have used the RP with.

Amazon shows 5 gallon tubs @ $115 per which ends up bringing the per quart size down to around $6. Not bad since RP typically sells for about $9 per quart on average.

K&N oil filter in place for the Tahoe with RP filter on the BMW.

By the way, it is proven amongst different independent studies that even full synthetic oils begin showing "breakdown" beginning around 7500 - 8K miles regardless of the vehicle/driving behavior.

Last edited:

srec1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The only car I ever put full synthetic in from day one did not end well. 2004 Dodge Durango hemi, 117k miles, dropped a valve. I changed the oil at 5k intvervals. Of course maybe without the synthetic it would have lasted only 80k.

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving habits do come into play. Redlining the engine and driving the dog piss out of it like I did when I was a kid will cause early failure....thankfully I got older and wiser.

1ATony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 and WIX filters in pretty much everything I own. Mobil 1 is good stuff.

crash0ride

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mobil 1 filter + Castrol GTX

I used to be a hardcore synthetic oil freak but now I think its a waste of money IMHO. If you change regular oil at the correct intervals your fine. People like to justify that it runs smoother or gets better gas mileage or whatever is a myth. Change your oil at the recommended intervals from your manufacture and your fine.

** GM don't break their engines in on synthetic for some reason I forget **

Last edited:

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crash0ride....your correct....their frigging cheap......but Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, and about a half dozen others do. As I have stated before, it's your investment, so it's yours do do whatever you want with it. But, facts are facts and VERY verifiable. Hopefully ALL the posts in this thread were read and understood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Z714X4

Latest posts