Tahoe bumpy ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sdpresby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe LTZ going over bumps I can feel what I can only describe as driving over a washboard shake or shimmying. More noticeable when going over a succession of bumps at like 55mph. Sometimes it feels like it make skip me off the road when I am going over bumps in a corner!!! Help! I have only driven it 1100 miles and could use some advise!
Thank you!

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe LTZ going over bumps I can feel what I can only describe as driving over a washboard shake or shimmying. More noticeable when going over a succession of bumps at like 55mph. Sometimes it feels like it make skip me off the road when I am going over bumps in a corner!!! Help! I have only driven it 1100 miles and could use some advise!
Thank you!
Is it stock? My Tahoe used to do this especially over train tracks it would feel like it’s dancing left to right
I tried bilstein adjustable shocks they rode too rough I tried Monroe stock replacement shocks and it was way too soft I ended up finding a set of coil overs used for 400$ (new was 1800$) and fabtech uniball upper control arms (500-600$) I also did new lower ball joints and sway bar links while I had it apart and it went from both hands on the wheel feeling like you said “thrown off the road” to driving with my knee cap over the same bump going 75mph now instead of before I would slow down to 45-55 cause it was so damn rough. Definitely a night and day difference in my Tahoes handling

OP
OP
S

Sdpresby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it stock? My Tahoe used to do this especially over train tracks it would feel like it’s dancing left to right
I tried bilstein adjustable shocks they rode too rough I tried Monroe stock replacement shocks and it was way too soft I ended up finding a set of coil overs used for 400$ (new was 1800$) and fabtech uniball upper control arms (500-600$) I also did new lower ball joints and sway bar links while I had it apart and it went from both hands on the wheel feeling like you said “thrown off the road” to driving with my knee cap over the same bump going 75mph now instead of before I would slow down to 45-55 cause it was so damn rough. Definitely a night and day difference in my Tahoes handling
Thank you so very much!

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Thank you so very much!
The control arms paired with the coil overs gives more down travel so your suspension won’t be bottoming out as bad like before when you get that dancing left to right feeling.
You can uncrank the coil overs to whatever brand you get if you don’t want the 2-3” lift they give just unscrew the collar and you can lower it back down to stock height

OP
OP
S

Sdpresby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would suggest getting a detailed suspension inspection by a competent shop.

Was there any sort of inspection before the purchase?
Yes I had it inspected by two different places and they put it on a lift and checked it over and said everything looked fine to them. I finally had my cousin who is a mechanic and use to work for NASCAR said it was something in the air shocks. I did report it to the place I purchased it from they drove it and said they couldn’t feel it...... and that if it were an inspection issue they will fix it. So I’m at a loss at this point. I went from driving a Cadillac SRX to this Tahoe so I assumed I just needed to get use to a different ride and suspension but it vibrates very noticeably. I did purchase and extended warranty so I may Jen to see what may be there for help....
Thank you for your responses!
Thank you so very much!
Thank you so very much!
Yes I believe it is stock but I will go and check the car fax report on it as it was maintained by the same dealership it was sold from until my recent purchase. I absolutely love my Tahoe! One of my concerns other than the washboard shimmy it gets was am I doing damage by driving it this way. It has been looked at and gone over underneath 2 times and they stated it’s in great shape and nothing wrong. But I guess I need to eventually do what you stated!
Thank you again!

OP
OP
S

Sdpresby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The control arms paired with the coil overs gives more down travel so your suspension won’t be bottoming out as bad like before when you get that dancing left to right feeling.
You can uncrank the coil overs to whatever brand you get if you don’t want the 2-3” lift they give just unscrew the collar and you can lower it back down to stock height
I would like a little lift to my Tahoe so that sounds perfect! I will check with my mechanic and price all of it out! Thank you!!!

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
I would like a little lift to my Tahoe so that sounds perfect! I will check with my mechanic and price all of it out! Thank you!!!
I’d vote towards fox or king shocks if you got the money get the DSC adjustable ones and you can fine tune them for how you want it to ride (firm/soft)
The coil overs are super easy to swap out and so are the control arms but you would have to get it back good enough to drive it for a alignment afterwards…
I’ve had 2 sets of fabtech an arms and the one set is 4 years old with 0 issues out the joint or the bushings not even a squeak. They got a couple bad reviews on Amazon but I believe it was from installation error one guy broke the bolt and it diddnt look like he drilled his spindle out to fix the tapered pin on the uniball so it snapped at the threads. IMG_3389.pngHere’s the part number for the control arms they are the best deal I could find for uniball arms most run 750-900$ sometimes you can find them on sale on Amazon for 500$ or so
IMG_7460.png
These cam plates lock the alighnment in where you cannot knock it out again I’ve beat the hell out of mine and I haven’t had to get an alignment since I put them on.(the stock sliding style cams like to move or come loose over washboard roads and bad bumps)
Note I would recommend cutting the bump stop for the upper control arms so you dont bottom out out with the new arms beings you’ll have more downward wheel travel
IMG_8310.jpegPic of my setup here

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take it to another Dealer, that is a nice factory ride and I would not mess with it. The initial ride needs to be repaired before you even think about lifting it which can cause more issues. See if the new Dealer finds a problem with the suspension and will repair it since you have an extended warranty. I would ride with the service tech and point out what you are feeling. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluKon18