Tahoe to Esky cluster Swap/ now batt light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travieso

Boooooooost !
Reaction score
as you know, yes.

For those of you wanting plug and play, 04/03 are different than a 05/06, will throw code. Mine did as it made the battery light come on and stay on. I have a 05 tahoe. I have since switched to 05 esky and light is gone. Put the 04 cluster i had in mine w/ the battery light on, put it in a 05 esky and the light wasnt didnt come on, on it. So just a fyi if it does, could be wrong cluster. Was not my battery, or alternator, tested both of those.

Very useful information tahoewhat. now i know what to look for when im in the market for a cluster i guess i would have to look for an 05+ cluster since mine is an 06

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as you know, yes.

For those of you wanting plug and play, 04/03 are different than a 05/06, will throw code. Mine did as it made the battery light come on and stay on. I have a 05 tahoe. I have since switched to 05 esky and light is gone. Put the 04 cluster i had in mine w/ the battery light on, put it in a 05 esky and the light wasnt didnt come on, on it. So just a fyi if it does, could be wrong cluster. Was not my battery, or alternator, tested both of those.

To add to my original post, need to edit this, i did put my STOCK tahoe cluster in a 05 tahoe, so of course it wouldnt come on. So forget that quote then.

But if looking for a Esky cluster and you have a 05 or 06 Tahoe, etc. get a 05/06 esky cluster. Why, b/c the the Power management SOH is missing, since you don't have that circuitry/module. SOH is the "State of Health" report upon power-up. If the module doesn't respond (not there) a fault sets. In this case, no codes would set for something not in the system normally, unless the cluster itself does now. The 05+ has EPM, the earlier trucks don't, and their clusters fault on this in an 05+- no doubt.

and for the different years and what is different.

03: The basic DIC

04: Add the TPM (Tire pressure Monitor) Also if you have this you will notice that you have instant mpg and personal and business trips. As 05/06 removes this.

05/06: Add the EPM system, and remove some DIC features like Instant MPG..

Just a little info for those that are like me and had no idea about this problem, b/c i have never seen it before, until i did mine. Supposbly 03 and 04 work fine, just older to new throws a code, batt. light. otherwise all works fine w/ the cluster. Had it in for a week.

Now have 05 and no problems. One way to tell if its 05/06 is if it has the chrome rings around the guages, and the rpm around 5k 6k is red. Older models just have gray rings around speedo and rpm, and no red on 5k 6k rpm.

What up Mike? How about a pic of the swap? Bet it looks killer.

Hey man, i had to think of who this was at first. lol. Hows it going.

Very useful information tahoewhat. now i know what to look for when im in the market for a cluster i guess i would have to look for an 05+ cluster since mine is an 06

Yes stick w/ 05/06 otherwise you may have problems. Im not sure, i just know w/ mine the battery light came on and stayed on and wasnt on before swap. (i did check battery/ alternator and all. They werent the problem, it was the SOH of the cluster) See above comment as i need to edit original post.

Yeah Mike, no pic = no proof!! :Boo:
below is my proof fool, where is yours???:chair:

Picture added, since i know we are all picture happy forum. lol. its just stock for now, but going to get SS overlay w/ either blue needles or red needles, and of course need to send to scottyboy so he can swap in some blue leds again for me.
picture.php

Last edited:

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to call you Doctor Mike, because you just diagnosed that sick patient like no other!! Nicely done on the info!! :mexsmoke:

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree! I just stumbled across this thread today and I learned so much!!

:worship::worship:

I figured you would chime in and have an answer about this. lol.

Surprised i havent nor seen anyone have this problem before. Leave it to me to find it though.

Hopefully i will and have helped out a few about this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaC56