Tar-like substance on coil springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DBPA2024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to this forum as I just recently bought a 2011 Tahoe LT Z71 here in Panama.
Checking on the (all original) suspension I found a thick, tar-like substance that seems to be coming off the top of the front springs.
What is this and is it of major concern?
Thanks for any advice/comment.
Greets from Panamá
Daniel

Attachments

• IMG_1198.jpeg
    IMG_1198.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1197.jpeg
    IMG_1197.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 8

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

That would not be normal, but the top of the shock in one photo is clean, so I don't think that it is directly related to the shock itself. Normally, there is a rubber dust protector sleeve that sits on the top of that assembly facing downward that shields the shock's piston from foreign materials. I can see the remains of one in one of your photos.

OP
OP
D

DBPA2024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your comments.
Here is a photo of my Tahoe. It’s been kept quite original - but with 140k mls and wear and tear there will be some work to do to keep it rolling …
Will check further in the substance on the springs.
Will keep you updated

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bienvenido al foro Amigo! Muy bonita camioneta!

I think there are some rubber isolators on top of the coil spring. Maybe they have melted for some strange reason? IDK

Saludos desde Texas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fireball17