The engine on the Yukon I got as a replacement for the Yukon that got two engine replacements needs replaced. Yes, you read that correctly.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

djsassan

Reaction score
Got my truck back this week. Driving fine.

I had a 4Runner as a rental in the meantime, man was I disappointed. You have to connect your phone via wire for Android Auto to work, the screen is black/blue/white/crap unless it is Android Auto, the thing shook like hell on the highway next to any trailers, and everything was made of plastic. This was a 2024 with under 3k miles on it btw.

I missed my Denali. Now waiting for GM to respond to yet another letter to them.

TVSS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I wrote that title like that on purpose. At this point, I can only laugh at the situation.

Backstory (super abbreviated):
2021 Yukon XL Denali bought at 36k miles. Engine blew at 40k-ish and was replaced under warranty, then th new engine failed at 142 miles and replaced, then a third engine issue. GM bought back the vehicle in exchange for a new one. Read about it here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...hicle-repurchased-new-vehicle-in-shop.142537/

2023 Yukon XL Denali, had 20 miles on it. Safety warning system light on, waited 6 weeks for the part to be available. Now, with 11,552 miles the lifters have failed and the engine needs replaced under warranty. No ETA on the repair. Read about this latest episode here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...e-that-had-2-engines-die.148401/#post-1877523

Both with the 6.2 engine

So now the lawyers have dusted off the file and are shooting something over to GM.

Did a lot of research again, the Yukon still seems to come out as the top Large SUV. I have thought about switching over to the Jeep Grand Wagoneer L, but need to do more research. I have driven those twice as rental cars while on trips and they are NIIIIIIICCCEEE.

One thing that is sticking with me, GM gave me a 7yr/100k mile factory bumper-to-bumper coverage on the current 2024 that I own. That is really hard to let go of, no 3rd party, no disputes, just go straight to GM. Are the 2024s better than the 2021-2023s with the lifter issues?

My thought and logic says to ask GM to take this car back and give me a 2024 instead with the same extended coverage. I think I would be happy with that because that tells me GM truly does care after all the crap I have been through with two of their vehicles. I also say to myself, what are the odds of a THIRD vehicle having a major issue, and this is ABSOLUTELY possible but not highly likely I would hope.

More to come.

I'm going to start logging here.
5/16 - heard lifter noise
5/17 - Took vehicle to GM Dealer. No loaners available, deal was able to rent me a Toyota Corolla for the moment.
5/23 - Dealer was able to arrange a mid-sized SUV (Chevy Blazer) through rental car company because I have multiple road trips to leave the state coming up.
5/24 - While driving the rental car from Hertz, got the "Change Engine Oil" alert. Called Hertz and informed them, they asked me to go get the oil change and be reimbursed. I said I would drive home the next day and wait for their location to open Monday and see what they want to do. The rental is not in my name, it is in the dealer's name and I am driving as a proxy. This is messy.

XXXX -
YES!!! I just experienced the same problem back in February with only 2600 miles. I have learned a lot through this ordeal. After a couple months of fighting with GM. I finally proved my case and they are doing a buy back. I had to prove the vehicle to be a lemon, which I did. I am not sure what state you are in but please investigate your lemon laws. Our state said if we had more than 30 cumulative days of the vehicle being in the shop for repairs. (Doesn't have to be for the same thing) then that qualifies a lemon. It was back in the shop at 4000 miles for the leveling system going out, then again at 6000 for the start/stop assist failing and the transmission slamming in and out of second gear. I reached out to GM and they tried multiple times to say we were only at 28 days of repairs and declined a buy back. (They tried to offer me a year of onstar for my troubles ) I had to do my own research to find the. tow company that towed my vehicle the very first time since it was requested through ONSTAR. Then and only then did they catch that it was 32 days. Funny since they are onstar, they should have caught that at the beginning. I filed a complaint with: https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all-programs/bbb-autoline.
STAND YOUR GROUND!
We run a fleet of GM vehicles but not after this. BUYER BEWARE!!!

KC 2013 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our '13 Tahoe has the 5.3 Flex Fuel engine with AFM (runs as 4/8) based on demand. I purchased a Range Technology AFM Disabler that plugs into the OBD2 port and simply keeps it in V8 mode 100% of the time. https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/
Have had it for several years without any issues. Currently have 128K on the clock and she runs and drives sweetly.
I do change the oil/filter every 4000 miles, using Mobil-1 Full Synthetic. It goes on sale at Costco, $35 for a case of 6.

The device works for both the older AFM systems as well as newer DFM systems.
Has worked great for me! :cool:

TVSS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How much better are you gonna do with Ford, or ChryStellantis?
That's a good question, I just know that the last 2 Yukons we have had have been a nightmare, The last one had constant engine trouble, electrical problems along with 3 transmissions. This last experience on the 2023 left my doctor and his surgery team stranded on the side of the road in the middle of no where in the pouring rain for over 4 hours waiting on a tow truck. Needless to say they didn't make it to the first case of the day. We use every square inch of a Yukon XL to haul our surgery equipment so finding something comparable has been a bit of a challenge. Our only options are a wagoneer and an Expedition Max. We have decided to go with the Max. Navigator would be nice but not nearly big enough. Our only other option is to go with a sprinter van and my boss is not OK with a van. LOL (really likes the SUV style better)

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, I used to be a NYC livery chauffeur.
One of my clients preferred his Mercedes Sprinter, with an interior customized so most
people could walk around upright inside his office away from the office, complete with desk and drawers.

redhat9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do these newer 6.2s also call for 0W-20 like the 5.3s? I wonder if stepping up to a 0/5W-40 Euro or even a 5W-30 would have any bearing on the lifter lifespan?

I mean the cst of a 20wt isn’t that low so I can’t imagine that’s the magic cure all, but just curious.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2L all call for 5W20, which'd make 5W30 'acceptable'.
I'd generally prefer 0W20 or 0W30, so that the oil gets back up top as quickly as possible after cold startups.

Mobil1 0W40 is BARELY 40wt at normal operating temps, and acts more like 30wt as it ages.
I wonder what other 0W40 or 5W40 motor oils are 'barely 40wt' at operating temp?