the oil pressure or temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texaschevyryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the dash u have the gas and the battery and the oil temp or pressure whichever it is mine sits bout half way where should it be sitting or is it in the right place :idiot:

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
That gauge reads oil pressure.

Middle is good. Thats about 40psi. A typical oil pressure sensor needs to see at least 5psi to keep the engine running.

Drgnblood

F%ck Douchebagistan!
Reaction score
ok im not trying to take over the thread here...butttttt.... what if your oil pressure gauge shoots up to 60-80 when you give it heavy throttle....is that ok....i know that the oil filter can sustain up to 180psi..

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
A lot of times the oil pressure gauges read incorrectly, so take them with a grain of salt.

60-80pis IMHO is not bad pressure at all. At higher rpm's you want more pressure and volume.

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you first start you engine, the pressure should be higher, around 60 or so, until the oil and engine warms up. Once warmed up, 40 psi is the average pressure.

I get a lot of people asking me what it means when they are on the highway with the cruise control on and the oil pressure is more like 20-30. This is also completely normal. The engine and oil are warmed up and the oil is running thinner.

J-Will

#Merica
Reaction score
so i shouldnt freak out about mine? im guessing the gauge is effed up. the second i start the truck it maxes out at 80. and never moves until i shut it off? just got in one day and it started doin that. before it rode at 40 all the time.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, it also depends on outside temp, and weight of oil used. As mentioned, when it warms up, the pressure will drop.

icehead

Reaction score
My gauge keeps dropping to almost (0) when at idle and the check gauges light come on.
Then when I take off it goes to 40 or 60 and the check gauges light goes off. as long as i'm on the the gas it's fine. Is this messed up?

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to put this out there, ANY engine needs only 10psi per thousand RPMS. As in 10psi @ 1000RPMS, 20PSI @ 2000RPMS, and so on. Having said this, if you are seeing 40-50-60 psi at start up...then you are running too thick of an oil. When you take it up to red line around 6K if you are seeing more than 60-70psi you are running too thick of an oil. Your engine needs flow more than pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy