the oil pressure or temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
for the vortecs:
Oil Pressure (Minimum at Normal Operating Temperature) 6 psi at 1000 rpm 18 psi at 2000 rpm 24 psi at 4000 rpm

fyi i see 50 when cold at start up and i run mobil1 5w-30 synthetic

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the vortecs:
Oil Pressure (Minimum at Normal Operating Temperature) 6 psi at 1000 rpm 18 psi at 2000 rpm 24 psi at 4000 rpm

fyi i see 50 when cold at start up and i run mobil1 5w-30 synthetic

Where did you get those numbers? The 6psi is low by a hair at 1000rpms, 18psi at 2000 rpms is so close it wont matter but 24 psi at 4000rpms is way low.

Also the reason you are getting 50psi at cold start up is because that there is no oil on the market thin enough to flow properly when cold, not even the 0w stuff is thin enough.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
From the factory service manual. As for the flow, oil viscocity is effected by temperature obviously. but when i say cold I should clarify it as cold engine not cold weather. I would get that when i was indy with 90°+ weather. of course itwarmed up faster during that time. Current local is about 50-60's for the curent few weeks. With drops to low 30's at night. Sometimes high 20's

While yor numbers may seem appriate in some instances it sounds like that was someones general opinion (maybe even an attempt to rid themselves of liability issues of someone damaging theor engine from the info they read) and not based individual manufacturers data of any given engine. Just to put that out there. Sorry but a trust the engineers that design and built the machine more then those who just write another them ulness the got the data to back up their story.

Last edited:

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is good to hear that the FSM states lower oil pressures are ok, but I wonder if "tolerances" are optimal. I know that the manufacture states that in a 2005 corolla, 1 quart of oil consumption every 3000miles is allowable....it is within the specs of the engineers that designed the motor but is it ideal??

Having said that, and back to your thoughts, go with a lighter weight oil. Also my information regurgitation is based on the writings of Bob is the oil guy .com Seems to know what he is talking about. Interesting reading in the "Oil University".

Also is that FSM on PDF or hard copy? Could you email me the file if possible? Thanks.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it would be ideal if not was lost, but that amount woul be allowed and not do any damage to components. that is basically the idea. in contrast the the permitted consumption for the vortec is 1 qt for 2k miles i believe. anything more and somethings wrong internal of the engine that needs to be address.

thanks but i and the vortec are happy with what i have. however when i get a new block one day the pressures will be a bit higher. i am running 1/4 mil miles on the original cylinder block.

kinda both really i can do it either way. but at any rate it is in electronic format from the two sources i have. it can be sometimes cut and paste but mostly print or a pdf tho the pdf for some odd reason invets the coloring of the graphic images. still working on a solution to that occasionally when i bother to.

the info i gave you was a cut and paste for the 1999 model. all vortec 350 should be similar.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
sorry but even if it is the same i still want details.

measured as oil pressure minimum when hot

it is the same numbers as above psi and rpm. 6-1000, 18-2000 and 24-4000.

any other stuff you need.

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry but even if it is the same i still want details.

measured as oil pressure minimum when hot

it is the same numbers as above psi and rpm. 6-1000, 18-2000 and 24-4000.

any other stuff you need.

Apparently from other posts you have been very helpful but I have to be honest, I cannot understand half of what you are trying to type. I'd like to be able to give you information to help your thought process but what exactly are you asking for??? You want 'details' details of what? Measured as oil pressure minimum when hot---what does that mean? Do you want my oil pressure measurements? or are you just stating an idea?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2006Duramax