Throttle Position Sensor and throttle gear issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DemonicDonut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2010 Yukon SLT w/ 5.3L

About a year ago I had to replace my TPS. Since then, I don't feel like my throttle response has been quite right. It feels like the car never goes to 0% throttle position. It got better with time, but never felt like it was.

I pulled it apart today because I had some time and made sure contacts were clean etc and put it back together. The trouble is, the idler gear (if it's called that) between the top and bottom gears fell out when I took the sensor off. I'm worried I may not have gotten the teeth in the same spot. The car is driving fine but it hunts slightly at idle, in the 5-600 rpm range. It didn't do that previously.

I have a Fox well scanner and can see the relative values (which is what led me to think my TPS isn't zeroed) but I'm also not sure what is "normal" for relative, absolute and all of the throttle and accelerator positions at idle.

If anyone can point me in a direction, I'd be thankful. I want to avoid the shop if possible.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you replace the TPS sensor, the throttle plate has to be in the wide open position. Once you mate it together let it return to it's parked position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wvdg