Timken SP500301 already bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple months ago I installed new Timken bearings and I noticed today the Tahoe was a bit squirrely on the freeway. Jacked it up when I got home and my drive wheel hub is freaking loose.

I am tired of working on this thing, I don't understand why these new parts are bad already.

Ordered a warranty replacement through Rock Auto and I will update in a couple weeks when I get around to installing it.

Anyone else have bad luck like this?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple months ago I installed new Timken bearings and I noticed today the Tahoe was a bit squirrely on the freeway. Jacked it up when I got home and my drive wheel hub is freaking loose.

I am tired of working on this thing, I don't understand why these new parts are bad already.

Ordered a warranty replacement through Rock Auto and I will update in a couple weeks when I get around to installing it.

My Made in the USA Timken hub lasted 84.547 miles.

Mine made no noises on turns, just noticed a little more vibration on the highway above 75mph than normal and it slowly got worse. Then at the next tire rotation, the wheel flopped over when we jacked it up.

Replaced with GM OE and am replacing the other one pre-emptively soon.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver Yea it rocks back and forth a bit, I was able to get it off in about 20 minutes and with the hub in my hands i can't tell anything is wrong but when it's installed and I spin it by hand it sounds like there is a needle rattling around but it doesn't feel grindy or loose. Was hoping I could return it but warranty is next best option.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Timkin claims …

“Narrow overall package width and reduced radial section thickness lowers unsprang weight, improving vehicle maneuverability and fuel efficiency”

They say they’re pre greased. Maybe try and add a little of your own grease before assembly.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pickup trucks have dust covers over the hub on the outside. The new CV axles I just bought have dust covers built into the CV Axle that cover the opening in the hub on the other side to I guess further protect the hub from the elements. We shall see.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score

My kryptonite hub has over 100k miles on 14 wides still going strong…

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacement Timken showed up but I noticed it was different than the first set I bought. Turns out this new one is made in Korea and the last 2 were made in USA.

IMG_3701.jpeg
IMG_3702.jpeg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The one you took out has the specs on the bearing and even threatening “warranty void if removed”.

Sounds like a good opportunity to remove it and determine what SKF bearings fit in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matts65ss