Timken SP500301 already bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
SKF bearing are the go to standard for bearings. Use them in my supercharger and alternator hubs on the VW. I was losing alternator bearings every 2-3 years until I had a rebuild shop rebuild my Bosch fact rebuilt alt with SKF bearings.

Even the Bosch Auth factory rebuilt bearings were junk or being rebuilt with comprised cores. Both have been going for 10+ years w/ the SKF inside.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@petethepug Thanks for the info. On a side note I did some digging and it looks like my Korean timkens are rebranded iljin bearings. I guess they are some OEM manufacturer out of Korea.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@petethepug Apparently iljin makes bearings for SKF and Timken so hopefully that is a good thing. Time will tell again, sooner or later

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Those hub cores are worth a fortune. With the specialty device to disassemble it and cram a new generic bearing in there I’ll bet they’re net‘g about $100 per unit rebuilt.

Pressureangle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you disassemble it, you'll find a pair of opposed tapered roller bearings, or possibly angular contact ball bearings, with a shim between them. This shim controls bearing to race clearance, and is a critical dimension. Be certain to replace them with an matched set as came out, or have the knowledge and parts capability to measure and set end play for an unmatched set.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won’t be taking anything apart this time, the bad part is returned as part of the warranty process. Sent the made in USA back and have the Korean installed currently

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matts65ss