To remove running boards or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my Tahoe would look much sleeker without the running boards...I don't have kids that would need them. Thoughts?

e83413fc.jpg

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They go with the front 2" black lip IMO. The Denali/Escalade ones would look great since you have the roof rack and handles.

Also, they make the body line lower. If you remove them, it will look like the trucks raised a couple inches.

Take them off. It's like 5 bolts on each side. Ride around a couple days... no biggie!!!

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly it is more then 5 bolts per side. It looks funny without running boards :imo:

LTLux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on what look you are trying for. I have a ccm leveling kit on my LT but loved the z71 NERF bars. I spent several months looking on craigslist but finally found the complete set for like $300. Love how they look!

fife2001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would say leave them on, but it would look nicer if you had the ones with the chrome strip like the Denali.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What many people don't seem to realize (or maybe they do, but don't care about) is that the bottom edge of the rear bumper (where it sits behind the rear wheels) hangs down LOWER than the bottom edge of the doors. The front valence hangs down even lower than that, but, visually, that's always been a good look on most vehicles. The side steps visually align the side, lower lines of the vehicle with the rear. When you take the steps off, you'll have the rear and front bumpers hanging lower than the doors -- and this, in my opinion, looks like crap (or, at best, like something is missing there).

And then there's the whole part about being able to see exhaust components and whatnot under the truck with the steps missing.

The steps ARE easy to remove. They more or lest sit on hangers which sandwich the steps in place. You can always just take off one side and see what you think.

...But I wouldn't recommend it. :)

OP
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the idea stems from seeing a family friend's Tahoe that had the electric step...hers just looks like a better looking vehicle, IMO its the steps that do it. Idk.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the idea stems from seeing a family friend's Tahoe that had the electric step...hers just looks like a better looking vehicle, IMO its the steps that do it. Idk.

But, even retracted, the electrical steps act almost as rocker panels. You're talking about having NOTHING in that space, which looks bad, imo.

phattyford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What many people don't seem to realize (or maybe they do, but don't care about) is that the bottom edge of the rear bumper (where it sits behind the rear wheels) hangs down LOWER than the bottom edge of the doors. The front valence hangs down even lower than that, but, visually, that's always been a good look on most vehicles. The side steps visually align the side, lower lines of the vehicle with the rear. When you take the steps off, you'll have the rear and front bumpers hanging lower than the doors -- and this, in my opinion, looks like crap (or, at best, like something is missing there).

And then there's the whole part about being able to see exhaust components and whatnot under the truck with the steps missing.

The steps ARE easy to remove. They more or lest sit on hangers which sandwich the steps in place. You can always just take off one side and see what you think.

...But I wouldn't recommend it. :)

:badidea:Preach, Brother, preach! LOL I honestly agree with you. Steps look a lot better than no steps unless your body dropped and laying on the rockers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AWItom