To remove running boards or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
What many people don't seem to realize (or maybe they do, but don't care about) is that the bottom edge of the rear bumper (where it sits behind the rear wheels) hangs down LOWER than the bottom edge of the doors. The front valence hangs down even lower than that, but, visually, that's always been a good look on most vehicles. The side steps visually align the side, lower lines of the vehicle with the rear. When you take the steps off, you'll have the rear and front bumpers hanging lower than the doors -- and this, in my opinion, looks like crap (or, at best, like something is missing there).

And then there's the whole part about being able to see exhaust components and whatnot under the truck with the steps missing.

The steps ARE easy to remove. They more or lest sit on hangers which sandwich the steps in place. You can always just take off one side and see what you think.

...But I wouldn't recommend it. :)

Could not agree more.:Handshake:
Chris I think you should keep them on. If you want them to look real slick you can get the parts that are not stepped on color matched. The only issues us rock may chip it up pretty good after some time. The only time they look good is when the SUV is lifted.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

For example, IntruckDesign's Tahoe:
DSCN4939.jpg

DSCN4948.jpg

DSCN4952.jpg

DSCN4950.jpg

DSCN4949.jpg

TRUCKSTUFF

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I rather have the running boards on the truck. It looks like something is missing without them. The running boards make the truck look lower and looks sleeker in my point of veiw.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want the look of the retractable running boards in order to retain the overall line of the truck from front to back you can get the Street Scene side skirts which achieve the same thing ... in fact slightly better because you color match them to the truck.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

BogeyBoy82's truck with the Street scene side skirts:

Exterior%2525201.jpg

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically what edgar said no unless lifted

Reaction score
I agree

If I remember correctly it is more then 5 bolts per side. It looks funny without running boards :imo:

I agree that SUV's without running boards mess with the flow of the ride, it makes it look more rough and not sleek like it should but its your vehicle and its all about what you like. Dont listen to any of us do what you think is right for you and your ride. I wish you luck man and do what you gotta do to make the ride how you like it and would be proud to frive it. Take Care.

lx4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt do it, i had it off my truck and felt it was missing something and it looked higher, so i just painted to match, but if you dont do good job prepping the paint it will flake and chip over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AWItom