To sell or not to sell, looking for opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweet Pete

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bottom line up front: should I sell my 2013 LTZ with 151,000 miles and buy a newer (used) suburban/Yukon XL or keep the one I have?

At the crux of my decision is the fact my truck needs a transmission... Last fall I replaced the right side top end of the engine which ran me about $5k and a few weeks ago I swapped out springs and shocks on all four corners. As I try to figure out what to do with my truck I don’t know if at this point “what else could go wrong” or if the truck gods are giving me signs to move on to something more reliable.

I realize none of us has a crystal ball but I’d appreciate your all’s thoughts.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what works and has been replaced on your truck, and you are thinking about what might need to be replaced on your truck at time moves on. If you purchase a new used truck, you will have to learn all of this about the new truck, starting Day #1. Maybe you will be lucky, and everything works now and in the future, but maybe you won't.

You know what you have right now, and that is important, IMO. How about rust and rot on the truck, as that is one thing, if present, will ultimately determine the life of the truck?

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$5K for the top end of one bank seems high. I think one thing I might try and do is find a competent shop that is a little more cost effective.

A reman transmission shouldn’t be more than $2500.

Unless you have a lot of experience buying and selling cars/trucks, each time you change usually comes with it some amount of loss. In addition, the newer the truck will likely have some future depreciation, likely more than the cost of your transmission and all future repairs along the way.

For me, the devil I know is far preferable to the one I don’t.

OP
OP
Sweet Pete

Sweet Pete

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, the shop that did the engine work was a dealership that I was stranded near during a family road trip on our way back from OH to NM. My local shop is reasonable.

The truck has been a southwest vehicle practically it’s whole life so the rust and rot is minimal if not nonexistent.

You both are echoing what my wife is feeling about it today about knowing what issues are fixed at this point.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tough call either way. You're getting into that phase of larger items wearing out - hubs/bearings, axles, CV joints, etc - and balancing that with the absolute insanity that is the used car market.

My inclination, when I'm making this kind of decision is to go usually go with the "bird in the hand." Your current truck is a known quantity. Any used vehicle, no matter how well you do your due diligence, is a wild card.

And frankly, with these trucks, anything below about $12k-$13k is just going to be a high-mileage money pit. You'd really have to go towards the $20k-$25k range to get a good used one.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bottom line up front: should I sell my 2013 LTZ with 151,000 miles and buy a newer (used) suburban/Yukon XL or keep the one I have?

At the crux of my decision is the fact my truck needs a transmission... Last fall I replaced the right side top end of the engine which ran me about $5k and a few weeks ago I swapped out springs and shocks on all four corners. As I try to figure out what to do with my truck I don’t know if at this point “what else could go wrong” or if the truck gods are giving me signs to move on to something more reliable.

I realize none of us has a crystal ball but I’d appreciate your all’s thoughts.

Keep the truck, get a GM Reman trans (100k warranty) and whatever else she needs to stay in top form. With new transmission and by changing the fluid every 40K miles or so, it'll last at least another 151K miles. I know of one 6L80 that went to 280K by keeping the fluid clean, none of that 100K service stuff, 36K!

At this mileage, it is about time for a major overhaul of the suspension and once complete, she'll drive like new again for another 8-10 years and 150K miles. Unless something is broken, you get to decide when to spend the money and hopefully you don't have monthly payments anymore.

BuckBrush

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like already stated above, I'd stick with the one you have. Getting into a different vehicle always brings a risk, if it's used there is a BIG chance that someone is getting rid of it for a reason or pending issue, hopefully you can find that on the inspection. Buying new brings great piece of mind but also brings a big depreciation price tag and doesn't guarantee that vehicle won't leave you stranded.

You already know what has been done to your vehicle and what it's history is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee