Trailer hitch, junkyard or uhaul?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan81986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my Tahoe PPV didn't come with a trailer hitch since it's technically not rated for towing. I only plan on towing small things on a 6x4 or similar flatbed or covered trailer anyway, nothing in excess of 1000-1500 pounds. So anyway, is it worth trying to pry an OEM trailer hitch off of a junkyard truck or just go to uhaul and have them throw an aftermarket one on? I tried quickly at the junkyard yesterday when I was there but the only one I could find was badly rusted on. I'll need some serious heat and maybe some air tools to get it off.

big_b_in_PA

Billy Badass
Reaction score
Leave the junkyard hitch alone, by the time you get it off and. Leaned up and new hardware, you would have the price of a new one. If i remember right, wallyworld has class 3-4 receivers for around 100 150. I don't know what u haul would charge, along with install. You decide, but the one on my obs Tahoe was flaking really bad, I wouldnt trust a used receiver, to haul a bicycle. Just my opinion, of course.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Na id go junkyard. About $30-50 then go to lowes and get the harware or rip it off the junkyard one. They are just as good as any other one......

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Also if you live in the north then maybe get a new one byt if ur in the south like alot of us then ur good

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the factory hitch fits the best and then you won't have someone hacking up your wiring. All the hardware can be swapped over from the vehicle the hitch comes off it. It's just a few bolts anyway. Then you can also get the factory plug and wiring harness that just plugs in (I believe you might also need to install the corrosponding fuses in the underhood fuse block as well). It's been a while since I've installed a hitch on a NBS.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Ebay also has them used. I dont really like car parts seems too expensive imo

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all you are towing is 1000-1500lbs. then don't even worry about a hitch. Just mount a ball on your bumper. There are 3 spots to "punch out" the plastic below the plate. Punch out the middle one and mount a $10 ball on it and then all you have to do is a trailer plug for the lights.

OP
OP
R

ryan81986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought about that, but I also wanted to get one of those hitch mounted bicycle racks.

OP
OP
R

ryan81986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll have to check wally world for hitches too I didn't think about that. Do the PPV's have the wiring harness tucked up underneath or do they eliminate that on those models?

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about that, but I also wanted to get one of those hitch mounted bicycle racks.

I just put a curt hitch on my 02 (picked the round tube model). It looks very good for aftermarket, a lot of it is hidden. It was around $200 bought locally. You can do better online if you want to get it shipped.

I would have liked a used one but didn't want to piss around trying to find one clean enough nor did I want to mess around refinishing one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timmytom