Trailering a 31' scarab boat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DStockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone pull a big boat like a 30' to 33'? How does your car for? I'm about to buy a 31' and have an 07 denali and was wondering what to expect.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how heavy is it?

We have a 31' and it weighs 12k and can't even be trailered without a permit (because the beam), wouldn't want to try lol.

SmallXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be fine. The 'nali engine is quite stout in term of torque. You should be fine. When going distances keep an eye on trans temp. At 220 you'll start the coking process.

1331154329-transmission-temp-trans-life-expectancy.jpg

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet the hull alone is 7500 lbs. Plus the weight of the engines (700 each), outdrives (250 each) and triple axle trailer (2500) and you're every bit of the 12,000 that stevek quoted. Need at least a 3/4 ton turbodiesel if not a 1 ton. I'm sure your Denali will move it, but it won't be safe and it certainly won't be legal. My '09 Denali struggles to pull 7500 lbs, I'd never try to pull any more than that.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah weight is 8000-10000lbs (dry), 700lbs in fuel and water on the boat, another few hundred pounds of crap you keep on the boat, trailer another 2500-3000... anywhere from 12-14k would be expected.

Not to mention your Denali can tow 8k or whatever when it's EMPTY. Add in the people in your car and you're looking at a few hundred pounds less. Honestly, towing almost twice what you should just is unsafe. You'd need to upgrade your brakes, rear suspension to handle the weight, way more wear and tear on your tranny/motor, and I think it's illegal to tow more than you're rated for... with that said it'd be cheaper to get a 3/4 or full ton truck with a trade in

Last edited:

NautiKev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from a Diesel, it's the only way to go when you have to tow something. I use to be able to spin 35" tires while pulling a 6k boat. my hoe struggles. I miss my truck :(

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from a Diesel, it's the only way to go when you have to tow something. I use to be able to spin 35" tires while pulling a 6k boat. my hoe struggles. I miss my truck :(

I dream of the day I can buy a Denali with a Duramax/Allison. 800 lb-ft of torque is just awesome. The friends I tow to the track with that have Duramax or Powerstroke truck just smoke the Denali, especially in the mountains. I'll run OK at 70 on flat ground, but pull any kind of grade and I'm in 4th pulling 55-60, they're just relaxing with the cruise set at 70. And I'm getting 9mpg, they're getting 13. And the guys that are using Hoes, they're pulling the same grades in 3rd or 4th at 50. I want an American SUV with a turbodiesel. Is anyone in Detroit listening?

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dream of the day I can buy a Denali with a Duramax/Allison. 800 lb-ft of torque is just awesome. The friends I tow to the track with that have Duramax or Powerstroke truck just smoke the Denali, especially in the mountains. I'll run OK at 70 on flat ground, but pull any kind of grade and I'm in 4th pulling 55-60, they're just relaxing with the cruise set at 70. And I'm getting 9mpg, they're getting 13. And the guys that are using Hoes, they're pulling the same grades in 3rd or 4th at 50. I want an American SUV with a turbodiesel. Is anyone in Detroit listening?

Detroit isn't listening, but the government is and they're wiping their ass with complaints. Doesn't matter what we want, it's what we will buy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian