tranny going ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

412HOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yesterday my 96 hoe started making a crazy noise , sounds like its coming from the tranny ... sound almost like theres no fluid , check it but its full , almost like something is rattlein around inside the torque converter or something , althuogh it seems to be shifting just fine.....forgot to mention that i think i need a tranny mount cause when in reverse you have to drift back , if you give it too much gas in reverse it makes a loud clunk noise then a horrible grinding , whineing type sound

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
immediately check your torque converter and flex plate bolts. as far as the reverse problem goes the sunshell may be broken which can cause that noise and a noisy second gear would follow or hava a leak in the reverse apply circuit. It is smart to not run it except for testing to prevent further severe damage. If that cluck is when it engages the greverse gear then line pressures are an issue and are usually a result of a problem with the boost valve.

rican4lfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do not know if it helps but I just had mine do the same and after troubleshooting my flywheel was cracks between the bolts, my noise was heard the most or louder around the converter, like a radry rattling..

dsltrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I swear that's just what I was dealing with... Dealer told me it was the oil pump, but I found out it was the flex plate bolts, I could take out all 6 by hand... Someone forgot to use lock-tite on them... Just unbolt the tourqe converter from the flex plate, grab a big screw driver and push the tourqe converter back into the tranny (only goes like an inch or 2) and look to see if those bolts are backing out at all... Wiggle the flex plate it may jiggle which it should Not do...

Here is what I found;

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/jjd78/?action=view&current=VIDEO0015.mp4

Last edited:
OP
OP
412HOE

412HOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
dude thtas the sound ...when you were wiggling the flex pltae thats how mine sounds while runnig...is this somthing i can check and or fix myself as im kinda broke rite now...im tired of this POS money pit ....every week its something else ever since i got it in march this year...i cant take it no more ....but cant sell it makin that god awfull noise , i was only asking $2500 , they are still sellin for $3500- $5500 around here

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the torque converter bolt would be easy to do. The flex plate bolts would require you to move the tranny back enough to get a torque wrench with an open end adapter or socket on them. It is doable just a tranny is kind of in the way that's all.:)

OP
OP
412HOE

412HOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanx sunlit , imma go out rite now and shot a video clip and try to post here and see if anyone can tell me if thats my prblem....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee