Transmission blew...need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my tranny bit the dust and it looks like I'm going to need a whole new setup now. So what trannys will bolt right up? I have an 01 Yukon 4x4 with a trans cooler.

I'm under the assumption that any 4x4 4l60e from the years 01-06 and 4x4 or z71 will bolt up but I'm not for sure. Is my transcooler compatible?

gearheadvr4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good luck getting info. Most guys here will say search or google it.... Not much help.

I've been searching for a few days and yes, seems anything from 00-06 4x4 will work. The transcooler will work across any of those years from what I'm seeing. The lines are the same. If you can replace the cooler with a larger unit.

I'm certainly no expert so I would recommend asking a transmission shop.

OP
OP
TWITCH101

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck getting info. Most guys here will say search or google it.... Not much help.

I've been searching for a few days and yes, seems anything from 00-06 4x4 will work. The transcooler will work across any of those years from what I'm seeing. The lines are the same. If you can replace the cooler with a larger unit.

I'm certainly no expert so I would recommend asking a transmission shop.

thanks, and yea I've searched google and I really can't come up with anything solid. seems that no one really has a definite answer. I'm just trying to get my search down to exactly what I need.

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, and yea I've searched google and I really can't come up with anything solid. seems that no one really has a definite answer. I'm just trying to get my search down to exactly what I need.

Depending on what went wrong you may want to consider replacing all your trans lines and the cooler at least. Any metal shavings in the cooler or lines will eventually find their way back to your new tranny. As far as trannys go... You have the right idea anything 00-06 half ton should work your Denali's Esky and SS's will have a 4L65e same thing just with a lil stronger internals to handle the 6.0L. 3/4 ton trucks use the same shell for a tranny but have even stronger internals (4L80e). There is a thread here somewhere on how to do a 4L80 swap ill look around and see what I can find.

P.S.
I'm not a tranny guy but thats the info i've come across. I know if my tranny went though I would not reuse the trans cooler I may try to clean the lines but depending on age prob wouldnt hurt to replace to prevent leaks and get any metal out.

OP
OP
TWITCH101

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just have yours rebuilt with upgraded parts? That's what I did when mine bit the dust.

Becaust that can cost upwards of $1k and I don't have that kind of money. I was looking to pick up a decent used one for a few hundred and throw it in myself.

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Depending on what went wrong you may want to consider replacing all your trans lines and the cooler at least. Any metal shavings in the cooler or lines will eventually find their way back to your new tranny. As far as trannys go... You have the right idea anything 00-06 half ton should work your Denali's Esky and SS's will have a 4L65e same thing just with a lil stronger internals to handle the 6.0L. 3/4 ton trucks use the same shell for a tranny but have even stronger internals (4L80e). There is a thread here somewhere on how to do a 4L80 swap ill look around and see what I can find.

P.S.
I'm not a tranny guy but thats the info i've come across. I know if my tranny went though I would not reuse the trans cooler I may try to clean the lines but depending on age prob wouldnt hurt to replace to prevent leaks and get any metal out.

My planetary gears are pretty much destroyed. Would a good flush not work well? I would figure with a flush and maybe an in-line filter I would be alright.

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into engine issues recently and was told the exact same thing. I'm def replacing my oil cooler as far as the lines go i'm going to do a good flush and hope that gets everything. Ultimately it's up to you as a result of being in grad school and having to pay $6,500 for summer classes I cant afford new lines but if I could I would...

My .02 cents

Dberdusco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As long as you get a 4wd unit.... Detachable bell housing with a 300 mm converter you should be OK...... I'm a 16 year transmission tech ask away I'll gladly answer your questions.......

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
TWITCH101

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you get a 4wd unit.... Detachable bell housing with a 300 mm converter you should be OK...... I'm a 16 year transmission tech ask away I'll gladly answer your questions.......

Ok....so what is a fair price for a rebuild. Ive had shops quote me around $1400 and then private shop owners quote me $800....I just don't know what I'm getting into I guess.

OP
OP
TWITCH101

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So I think I may have found a transmission. It's out of an 07 4x4 but I'm still on the edge about buying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365

Latest posts